PEPPIE's New 120 Acrylic Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yea Scoot,
I had to lay out the rock to see if I had enough to cover the back, and left wall.
I will get back to that part of the build later.

Well I guess I had better post up some pics or some will say it didnt happen.
I rough cut the 3/4'' with the skillsaw and the tablesaw. I just had to set them in place to see how big (or little) this tank will be.

Time to get a templet made to run the router around. I use 1/2'' MDF its flat and leaves a smooth edge right off the table saw. I cut it to the exact height that I want the tank walls. I leave it 3'' longer than the over all length of the tank. I clamp the acrylic panel to the MDF and rout the top and bottom of the front and back panels.

Then I put 3 layers of tape on the edge of the MDF.

Make a pass with the router, remove the tape. Then make a final pass with the router for a flat smooth weldable edge.

SKILLZZZ!!!! I could never do this myself. But I like following along!

Good to have ya aboard tike,
Its not that hard. I watched a guy do it on U-tube. LOL
Thought I could do it better than him LOL

Whats the purpose of the tape?

I put three layers of tape on for the first cut with the router. Then I pull the tape off to make the last cut. Cutting a very small amount of acrylic with the router will give you a smoother finish, much less torch on the router bit, which reduces flex and vibration.

I understand the what, I don't understand the why.
(I won't continue to ask.. I don't intend on building any tanks or anything.. its just curiosity)

The first cut with the router will cut approx. 3/8'' of material. A lot buy my standards. The last cut without the tape will will cut approx. 1/128". It will leave a smoother cut by routing less material.

Back