Pinched Mantle

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

my clams??? just providing the best water quality i can...other then that...nothing.

they actually look better then they did a couple weeks ago. don't look stressed out much at all. only the little slime is all i really notice

Lunchbucket

chris&barb - how are yours looking? How many do you have left?

NaH2O said:
chris&barb - how are yours looking? How many do you have left?

Nikki there doing good,i lost one small crocea because i held off on the FWD's to see how it would go after the Prazepro,and when i did dip that when i lost it. but as for the others,my big Derasa and Squamosa look great,small Squamosa ok,2 teardrops look great,and the rest of the maximas and croceas ok,im just doing FWD's as needed on the ones that i said look ok,the ones that look great haven't needed any. just waiting to hear what Mojo comes up with :?:

I have now wrestled with PM on 3 clams for just over 3months. They had been through two 30min FWD's but it returned in all three. The last FWD I did was for just over 45min and they have been pinch free for about 3 weeks now and looking good.

Still working on something but nothing that I am ready to post yet. Now I need some clams with PM so we can do some testing.

people were recommending metronidazole correct? i beleive that is what was one med recommended. well if it is i posted before about it being used to treat womenly bacterial infections...and some people said no...well i found a bottle of it in the fridge and when i asked the wife what it was for that is what she told me. they are 500mg tabs. these could be crushed and used correct? there wouldn't be any additives that would be harmfull would there be?

Barry you want my clams?

Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket - I wasn't thinking bacterial womanly infection. lol - I was thinking you meant another type of womanly infection (I believe you posted just womanly infection). Now your wife will probably be embarrased to know you posted about it to us :D. I promise, I won't tell her :lol:

Back on track.....Lunchbucket - did your clams revert back? A couple of weeks ago they weren't looking as bad?

ahh heck it is just one more body problem. women are touchy sometimes...poor ladies

clams look pretty good. no perfect but the pinchin is minimal mostly at night when they close up. but they still slime some. alive and kicking i guess

the carrier looks about perfect....it hasn't shown signs for 1+yr Travis said

Lunchbucket

I just wanted to share an experience I had that may or may not lead to something in the treatment of this issue. I have several clams in my tank which started showing signs of pinching. At the same time, I had Red Bugs and a coral was found to have SPS flat worms. I know, a lot going on in there. :( Anyway, I am now on the second week of both treating for Red Bugs (Interceptor) and flat worms (Flat Worm Exit). The first week, I did one and a half the recommended dosage of FWE followed by carbon and then did the Red Bug treatment followed by carbon and a water change and all the regular procedures for each treatment. The second week, I did two times the FWE followed by another Red Bug treatment. The third treatment will be done this next Tuesday with a three times FWE treatment followed by the Red Bug treatment. So... after having done the two treatments twice now, all my clams show no signs of pinching what-so-ever and are now extending their mantles as they did prior to the pinching. The only other changes to the tank during this time period were the replacement of a one year old UV lamp and all my 2 year old VHO bulbs.

Whether either treatment is the cause for my clam's improvements I am not sure but a fellow club member is going to try an Interceptor dip on his clam which is also showing pinching. If there is no sign of improvement, he will then try the FWE. We'll see how this does. I just wanted to share my experience in the hopes that others will try this and possibly find a treatment that is effective and permanent.

Joseph

Joseph - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Out of curiousity, how many folks with Pinched Mantle have or had Iron Oxide/Hydroxide phosphate binders on their tanks (Rowaphos, phosban, ?) while the clams were pinching?

I was pointed in the direction of another thread, which contained some interesting information. Since there are quite a number of folks involved on this thread, I'm interested to see how many have iron based phosphate removers on their systems...

Abstract

Two types of iron chelators, desferrioxamine (DFO) and 2,2'-bipyridyl (BIP), selected for their differential binding properties, permeability and stoechiometry, were tested for their ability to inhibit the in vitro proliferation of the carpet shell clam parasite Perkinsus atlanticus. A tetrazolium-based assay was used to determine the effect of the drugs on cell proliferation. Both chelators were able to inhibit P. atlanticus proliferation in a dose-dependent manner, the 50% inhibitory concentration were 14 and 24 mM for DFO and BIP, respectively, in a 72 h test. This effect was reversed by co-addition of iron, confirming that this activity is due to the sequestration of iron. These results indicate a high degree of susceptibility of the protozoan parasite to chelator-induced iron deprivation. However, this effect was reversible upon removal of the drugs, indicating that the action of both chelators was cytostatic. For the range of concentrations tested the combined drug effects was not significantly higher than the additive effect of the individual drugs.

I still need to read the full study, but there's the abstract....(PDF file)Effect of desferrioxamine and 2,2'-bipyridyl on the proliferation of Perkinsus atlanticus

it's been about 2 or 3 week now for me with out any signs of PM. what i did to clear it up was put a large amount of GAC in an old skimmer body and im running about 700 to 800gph through it. when i first installed it ,with in about 3 or 4 hours the pinching was gone. i got this idea from the above paper on Perkinsus and iron. i run rowa/phosban 24/7 and i think that thats the root cause. this weekend im getting some new GFO and i may take the GAC off line and see what happens, but then again i may just keep running the GAC and not take any chances

My tank had Phosban running in it for approx 2 months before the clams were introduced, and PM showed up about 3 weeks after I got them. FWIW, I still run phosban on the tank now, and have no signs of PM in any of the clams, (Maxima, Crocea, and Derasa).

Welcome to the board Joseph! I've followed the thread on your 240 Inwall tank since about day 10 or 12 over on RC. Nice to see you here too.

Nick

Thanks for the welcome guys. I hadn't run any phosphate removers for over a year so this isn't the cause of the pinching in my tank. I am running double the amount of activated carbon since the initial treatment two weeks ago though.

Yes, I do now, but only recently full time.....since October-ish. PM was treated and new clams were added long before I started running GAC full time.

Nick

Back