premium membership

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I would love to see the return of the Premium Membership.

I know I might get beat up a little on this one but what are the thoughts on only Premium Members being able to sell things in the selling forum or maybe only Premium Members can have more than 3 selling threads a month? Let's face it, if you are selling more than that then you are making money and why not share a little bit.

I am on a different forum(non reefing) that after 4 selling threads in one year you have to become a premium member or you can't post in the selling forum any longer. That isn't a bad solution either. It tends to eliminate the people who really don't care about the forum.

I don't like the idea of a Premium Only forum because what ends up happening is all the premium members end up staying in there and none of the other reefers can learn from what they have to say. I know people who have been on this forum and others who spent the first 6 months just reading.

I do like the idea of extra PM space.

I would sign up for both, a premium and sponsor. :)

I like this suggestion, hey if i want to sell something at like a swapmeet or for the sake of saltwater stuff a fragswap etc... I would anticipate a fee, I see no reason why reeffrontiers should be any different.

As far as the added benifits for becoming a premium member, added pm space and more image storage capacity isn't all the appealing to me.

there is a delete button on my mailbox (take that away from me and I might be interested in add pm slots) and I use photobucket to upload my photos since it is easier to upload to photobucket and use the images on multiple forums.

I would however gladly pay for the privilage to sell/trade things like corals and old equipment i have accumulating in my living room etc...(not commercial obviously)

I like the idea of selling power being a premium member only perk, however leave the buying open to the general members, or else it reduces the "perkyness" of the selling privilage.

I also do not like the idea of a premium members forum section. Relevant material that could potentially help new members out (who are not premium members yet, nor know anything about being a premium member) could just skim right over reeffrontiers seeking that one tidbit of information via google because it was restricted.

and finally setup a premium member groupbuy section(again a perk I would gladly pay for) so interested parties could have an "open" forum to discuss/setup groupbuys of both sponsor and non-sponsor buisnesses(maybe that would actually generate some interest for potential sponsors to represent this site as well.)

Personally if the only benifits were added pm space, a bigger image storage space and an added forum section, I would not becaome a premium member if thats all I was basing my decision off of, I would pay the 30 bucks just to support RF however. Now if I were to pay 30 buck in order to sell things on this site, that would definitly make me think twice about becoming a premium member on it's own.

The MODS said it themselves the forsale forums are a PRIVILAGE why not make it premium member benifit

my two pennies...

The whole selling and buying rights/privledge/forums/permissions thing is not going to have anything to do with any kind of Premium membership. So lets disconnect that. Private sales have both pros and cons and thats about all I want to talk about that one :rolleyes:

In regards to Premium Membership. I see it as loyal members wanting to show their support for the site and on the flip side as a site we want to show our appreciation back to these members by giving what perks we can afford to give.

In saying that the extra PM space/ picture DL space/ Private RF email / A private forum for P members to talk/suggest/be involved with the staff/ Smilies/ are things I can think of at this moment that we can do no problem.

At this point we have alot of new things inn the direct pipeline to help enhance and bring RF back to the fore front on the internet. So give me a bit of time and we will put this feature up asap.

take care all

Mike

We're getting lots of great feedback from the members. To everyone, your feedback is greatly appreciated!! We want AND need your thoughts. Without member feedback, Mojo wouldn't have a clue, which direction to go. Mojo, you're clueless!! Alright, maybe not totally clueless, BUT, with the feedback of members, AND we hope for feedback from Sponsors, it sure does help Mike in his important decisions, on the direction to take this great forum.

Gee imagine a guy with only one post calling me clueless???? :oops::eek:

I do love your new avatar though it does suit you :eek::eek::oops:

Keep it up Sid, you got 2 posts now just no post padding :lol: That would be something if Mike forgot what your count actually was :shock:

Mike you do know once you take away a persons post count, it removes every post made from the user! :confused:

stats

just out of curiosity, are these stats accurate. Reeffrontiers recieves 92,000 page views from 4,000 unique visitors, during 15,000 monthly visits. This is of course an average over last 12 months.

Ichthys

I was thinkin about features for paid premium members...and was thinkin... what about a discount for shopping with our sponsors?

Maybe it wouldn't work, because maybe not all sponsors would be on board, but I think it'd be cool.

I think people would pay to not only support RF, but save a few bucks as well. Kind of offset the cost for those on a budget, and further encourage shopping with sponsors (we all like to shop where we can save a few bucks).

I was thinkin about features for paid premium members...and was thinkin... what about a discount for shopping with our sponsors?

Maybe it wouldn't work, because maybe not all sponsors would be on board, but I think it'd be cool.

I think people would pay to not only support RF, but save a few bucks as well. Kind of offset the cost for those on a budget, and further encourage shopping with sponsors (we all like to shop where we can save a few bucks).

One of the challenges with this idea is:

Reef Frontiers doesn't have the ability NOR desire to dictate to our Sponsors that they "must" give discounts. That being said, a lot of our Sponsors already do offer discounts to Reef Frontiers members, either all the time, or with weekly specials, or in some other form.

As a community, we should feel, not an obligation, but a wish, to support our Sponsors, as a way of paying them back for their gracious support.

just an idea, tryin to help think of things people might find attractive, and be willing to pay for, cuz I thought that's what this thread was. Maybe it wasn't a good idea. Already said that it might not work. Just tryin to help.

Not tryin to get anyone's fur up or insinuate anything disrespectful to sponsors...

Last edited:
Back