Problem with new sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Let me know when you are coming around since Tom lives just down the road from me, I'd like to go and learn more about the PLCs as well.

Well i suppose since your hooked up Ken and Krish did PM me, i will make a special guest appearence. Im waitin for out DOODette to pop up.

Anyways, hey Tom, do you know if i could get my wife a hop to guam outta mcChord?

Jid, I don't think that we do regular trips down there, best place to start would be Travis, to Hickam, then from there it would probably be easy to get down to Guam. I have a buddy who just did a trip to Hickam, it went easy and he had a great time.

Well you need to get w/ the pax terminal. I am not too sure about the rules. I think that dependents traveling w/ out the sponser are about the lowest on the food chain and get bumped the most. You could also check out the travis space A website, I don't have a link or anything like that. I will take a look in the system for you later and see what the best chances of getting to anderson are.

Ok Jiddz, I took a look and the way to go is Travis-Hickam-Anderson. Good luck and bla bla bla :D

Jiddy, who in the heck is gonna take care of the tank if the Princess goes to Guam? Tom shouldn't you be cutting me some acrylic right now?:D

Well Ken, I've got plexi problems too. I woke up this morning and my CPR overflow seperated down the joint on one side. Luckily, it didn't seperate all the way down to the water. I had to run down the shop and get some plexiglass glue out of the fridge. Now she's good as new!

Wow ou keep you plexi glue in the fridge? What kind of glue is that? I use weldon 3,4, and 40 and just keep them out in the shop.

Kensn said:
No, I never said I didn't want to use glue... I want to use weldon and glue the acrylic rod into the corners where the gaps are. I don't think silicone sticks really well to acrylic.

Silicone does fine. I had a sump with three holes in it that I did not need so I cut square pieces of acrylic and siliconed them over the holes. No leaks.

Big T, its a two part glue we imported that you glue the surfaces together and spray on a hardener that makes an instant bond. It doesn't necessarily have to stay in the fridge, but It gets kinda hot here in the Bahamas. The stuff beats waiting on stuff like silicone to cure...I use it whenever I need a quick fix!

Cant say that I have heard of anything like that made for acrylic. I know that you can use a accelerator for superglue (cynoacrylate)

I'll have to look on it when I get back home, but it is supplied to us by Audio America and Metra (car and home audio distributors). I think it is called Insta-Glue and Insta-Cure. We use it in cars when the guys have little boo boo's or when were are making different things using plastic. It's really strong. My first sump I brought in from the states seperated and water flowed everywhere. I used the same stuff and never had anymore problems.

Ok now that I know what you are dealing w/ I can tell you that you need to get the right stuff! LOL. I don't know what chemical is in Weldon, but I can tell you that it bonds the pieces of acrylic together on a molecular level, and that is much much stronger then you can get w/ superglue. If you get into building your own stuff I would recommend getting some weldon.

Back