• Yes, I had/have problems from sand bed

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Never had problems from sand bed

Votes: 42 59.2%
  • Never had sand

Votes: 8 11.3%

• Total voters

NaH2O

The newest poll is based on these previous polls: What's Your Tank Bottom and What's Your Sand Depth

I'm curious to how many have or have had problems in the tank....known to be caused by the sand bed? If so, what depth was your sand, and/or what type of substrate was it.

I yanked out a 5" sand bed from a tank in Columbia KY. Its barebottom now. The tank is staying a whole heck of alot cleaner, hardly any algae growth, better exension on the corals. Just everything looks better. I am going to remove mine from my tank at home here soon, and all tanks set up from now on, unless a softie tank will be bare bottom with starboard and pvc racks for the live rock. Just seems to be cleaner and better. This is coming from someone who argued for sand beds and thought they were super cool. I have seen the error of my ways. It seems to work better with out the sand. Steve

No Problems Yet

Both my tanks have Sand bottoms I do like the looks of the sand bottom and i have tried everything to keep it mixed up as with lots of Nassarius Snails and Both tanks have Blue cheek sand sifting Gobies ( Valenciennea sexguttata) In them and they both sift a lot of sand I really need it for My75 gallon SPS clam tank for my Leopard Wrasses to bunk down each night :)
Mine is 3-5 Inches deep in My 75 and I have rolling dunes where it higher in certain places I have also noticed the higher spots next to my Base rock are where the Wrasses Prefer to bury them selves.The sand i am using is the white sand Kevin sells I belive its the smaller Caribbean Sugar grain size...

charlie said:
Let me put it this way, I haven't had problems yet!!!! I have learned to never say never!! :D :D

No problems or complaints yet :exclaim:
Most of the SB is only 10 months old, although I did use some from the old tank which was at least a year old before the transfer so not expecting any problems yet but I'm always on the lookout :p

My only problem with a sand bed so far was a nano with a 3 inch bed on a metal stand. There was no insulation beneath the tank. This was my first marine tank after years of freshwater, guy at the LFS thought it was the perfect setup: sand bed, no skimmer, no filtration, just a fuge and massive water changes. I think he estimated the amount of money I was comfy putting down and sold me what he could as an experiment... fortunately had an 80 already cycling and a 20 and 10 gallon quarantine going when it crashed. The sand got 10 degrees colder at the bottom when the room temp dropped to just over 60 degrees, and the stench was astonishing. Miraculously all coral and fish survived, I moved them immediately... a few went to the 80 which hadn't even started spiking ammonia and had $200 of uncycled liverock in it. I will never forget the smell.

All my tanks have substrate, I am not anti DSB or SB, just anti open stands with no insulation below the tank in a 60 degree room next to a drafty door with no filtration. That make sense? Am thinking of removing a lot of the sand from the 80 and using it to start yet another tank... I can really see now what benefits a system with no substrate offers as far as flow and nutrient export but keep the substrate as some of my fish either need it as a home or need the pods it harbors. I don't trust a fuge w/ DSB to be temperature stable as it has the same problems as the system placed on the metal stand.

Metal stands are great for potted plants.
Kate

I don't think I've had problems with my sand bed per se. I really like all the life in it. I do have an issue with heavy feeding with phosphates sometimes. Nothing serious. I worry when they're detectible. I think just like any system you have to realize there are limitations. You need to maintain your inputs and outputs with any system. I like the benfits of my sand bed (had one for 4 years then switched over to another one when I moved to my 90 gallon over xmas). I find my pods as interesting as my corals. I think any setup can be done wrong or right and can fail for a myriad of reasons. Its good to remember its a closed little glass/acrylic box. All in all I'm an advocate for sand beds for those people willing to undertake them.

Back