Q's on purchase 6gal Nanocube

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tunicata

Hi,
I'm wondering if I should buy this 6gal nano cube.

So far this is the info on it:

all whisper powerfilter for water movement, submersible heater, pc
lights with actinic and 10k bulbs. the light alone was $80, everything
used for less than 6 months. make me an offer.it comes with lights, hang on
back filter that i use as a fuge, and submersible
heater.

tank.jpg

I would like to know about the quality and quantity of the LR and sand. Also, the history of the tank. But what other questions should I ask, and how much should I offer (the least, he originally posted it 7/31, said he's had some emails but no one ever came to pick it up)?

That picture looks like it was taken when it was first set up. I would want to see a recent pic. I would also want to see a pic of the top of the tank where the light sits. How many watts of PC?

Man thats small. This wont be your first tank will it? I would offer $100 because at my LFS they have an established 8gallon nano fully stocked ie: LR,LS,Plants, SPS, Softies, and fish for $180. This one looks pretty bare.

I'm not sure when the pic was taken.
I'll check on that and see if there are more pics. Though I too am interested in seeing what occurred during those six months!
I'll ask about the lights.

Too small for a first tank?
Are you saying that because small tanks are more tempermental, as in if I have a large tank I can afford small mistakes?

This will be my first personal tank. I've helped to maintain 55gal tank (tang, molly, general beginner fish) and I had some research tanks with sea stars and urchins that were successful for my purposes. None of these were for coral though, none really sensitive.

I'm just going to use this tank to see if I can properly maintain a few frags. If I can get them to stay pretty, and try out some prop techniques for later when I can afford more.

(If I can just get a 20gal, a 5lb bucket, LR, LS, some pumps, an overflow, a skimmer for a bit under $100 or at $100 that would be cool too)

Thanks!

I'm not sure when the pic was taken.
I'll check on that and see if there are more pics. Though I too am interested in seeing what occurred during those six months!
I'll ask about the lights.

Too small for a first tank?
Are you saying that because small tanks are more tempermental, as in if I have a large tank I can afford small mistakes?

This will be my first personal tank. I've helped to maintain 55gal tank (tang, molly, general beginner fish) and I had some research tanks with sea stars and urchins that were successful for my purposes. None of these were for coral though, none really sensitive.

yes that was why i said it was a small tank. but it looks like you have some good knowlege and experience..

Man.. I totally suggest looking in to this 8gallon nano at my LFS here in centralia. its been established for about a year and it gets good growth. I've been thinking of getting a small nano too for a few frags. would be kinda a kewl eye piece on top of the entertainment center.

Ah, more info:
the tank isnt setup anymore. it doesnt come with rock
or sand or anything. i bought it from a friend but
never got a chance to set it up.
i think the lights are 2 x 18w pc's. each bulb has 2
tubes. i remember seeing the light for $80 on dr.
foster n smiths website.
my friend bought the tank to use for a clown, he only
had it up for a few months before he upgraded from
this 6g to a 10g, and it hasnt been in use since
(since i havent used it when i bought it).

Hm, so what in the world is he talking about? He said he uses part of it as a fuge. But now he says he's never used it and that it was only used for a clown...

Back