Question regarding LED lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I would love to help you out Todd. Just let me know when.

Lorrie,
I have loads of seperate blue moon light LED's. You just tell me what you want on it and we will go from there. To to do 2 dimmable circuits is nice but really believe all you need on something that small is 1 dimmable. Control the whites and you will control the color temp.

I think one blue moonlight would be sufficiant.
Doing a dimmable control on the whites is fine, as long as you can do it. And then just an on/off on the blues and a seperate moonlight which would stay on 24/7.

And not to get to confusing, there is the hole in the top section over the filtration area that is for a single LED over the itty bitty refugium. I would like to put macro in there. Can we get a single LED on a reverse lighting schedule over that? I guess that would mean another driver for one LED?

By the time we're done, its going to have as many pulgs on it as the unit over the 75 gal tank. I think theres 6 plugs on it.

We can build the LED for the FUGE into your moonlight wiring. I will figure out the details. So far I have 4 plugs - 1x whites , 1x blues, 1x moonlights (wallwart), and fuge, I am trying to come up with a schematic that will allow the fan, moonlights and refugium on the same circuit with seperate controls.

We can build the LED for the FUGE into your moonlight wiring. I will figure out the details. So far I have 4 plugs - 1x whites , 1x blues, 1x moonlights (wallwart), and fuge, I am trying to come up with a schematic that will allow the fan, moonlights and refugium on the same circuit with seperate controls.

:confused: Yeah, I understand what your saying but....I'm glad your doing this.

Would the fan need to run continuous? The moonlight and the refug light could be on the same control and both come on when the whites go off.

No the fan would only run when the main lights are on. Are you planning to run a timer with this.

Yes of one kind or another. Just like the rest of the tanks.
The timer would cycle the lights with blue on first then the whites, then the whites off and later blues off with the fuge light and moonlight coming on when the whites go off. That is if the whites and blues are operated seperately. If it has a dimmable driver, it would do basically the same thing only dimming till it was out and then coming on slowly till it was full on.

That is if its not too much trouble.

No trouble at all I am just trying to figure out what you will be using to control these. If you are using a typical mechanical timer with on/off or are you trying to step the voltage with a controller. The actual dimming side of the circuit will be used for your lighting preference. Unless you want to use a controller and have them step the voltage. Which would eliminate the need for dimming pots. A reef keeper lite with an ALC would be perfect for this. Expensive but perfect. I personally would just go with the manual dim and an on/off mechanical timer. If this was a build for a larger tank then I would go for the full out controller. It is up to you though. I also wanted to say that unfortunately I will not be at the PUB tomorrow. So we will have to get together at another time. I have however ordered the the LED's and heat sink. So I will post pictures up as I build. Not sure when they are coming in. I figure the order will not get processed until Monday. Stay tuned...........

Okay Floyd. I took a bunch more pics to give you a few more dimensions.
They can all be seen here
Pico tank pics pictures by IPisces - Photobucket
Let me know if you need any more photos.

You were talking about the bracing/bracket for the lights. The cover for the back of the tank is tight agains the back of the tank and sets on the top of the sections in the back. I could possibly modify it but would rather not.

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

The base that the tank is sitting on has a cut out for the foot of the stand for the lights they had on it. It was basically an L shape piece of 1/4" or 3/16" aluminum that slid under the tank.

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

And then there is the opening for the fuge light. It does have a piece of clear plexi across the bottom so no water can splash up on the light.

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

I am really excited. All the LEDs and parts have been or are being ordered.
Sounds like there is going to be a seperate dimmable control on both the white lights and the blue lights. A fuge light and a moon light. I think the light for this little tank going to be so cool. Looking forward to progress pics :D

It is going to be really nice. I ordered a nice aluminum harddrive enclosure to house the ballasts and the dimming pots. Everything is going to be real slim line and nice. I wish that I was somewhat good at google sketch up so I could show you what I have planned.

Come on Floyd, show us your real plans unless you're :embarassed: ...in color so that those Crayola hues show up well :bounce:

Seriously though Lorrie this is going to be sweet lighting system for your lil pico.

Cheers, Todd

Whew hoo all parts have been shipped, except for one. I am ordering a flashlight driver for a 3w cree that will mount to the back of the LED for your refugium area. I will have it wired off of your 12 vdc for your night light.

Whew hoo all parts have been shipped, except for one. I am ordering a flashlight driver for a 3w cree that will mount to the back of the LED for your refugium area. I will have it wired off of your 12 vdc for your night light.

I'm glad you know what your doing!
A flashlight driver! I'd of never thought of that.

So this is what a Cree flashlight driver looks like. I ordered one and not sure how long it will take to get here (coming from China).

12903129120.jpg

Back