Question regarding LED lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So why the Cree flashlight driver??? This powers the intensity of the light correct but how is that working with your LED??? Just trying to understand. Thanks

Dtech07

This is going to be for the refugium light that will be powerd off of her night lights 12vdc input. Since you can not run a regular driver with less then three lights in series without adding resistors, then this will be the best way to go for a single LED circuit.

Ok and thanks, I'll to keep my eye's on this Thread because i'm looking at LED in Aug for my 75gal and 55gal Refuguim. Thx again

Dtech07

So in the mail today was a nice little package with all of the LED's and heatsink. Waiting for the driver's. Then it is wiring time and setting things into place. Looks like that little tank of yours will be lit in no time.

DSC04962.jpg

DSC04961.jpg

So here are some of the parts for this insane NANO light. I figure that 6 cool white, 5 Royal Blues, and one refugium light, should be an awesome set up. I am going to start the building tomorrow. I did not include a picture of the potentiometers, fan and speed control.

Things I am still waiting on.
3w LED driver (for refugium light, coming from China)
Aluminum heatsink case for drivers and controls
1 more dimmable driver.

No I was trying minimize the amount of cords that are coming off of the back of the box. I know that I could have picked off of the 12vdc input for the fan control but figured that adding a resistor would give one more component in there that could potentially fail. So it was more of a fail safe. Besides I like the look of the little driver. But here are some of the pictures of the case that I made for all of the ballasts and dimmer controls. It is not done yet still have some more wiring to do, and some wire clean up (tie up all of the wires and make them nice and tight)

DSC04972.jpg

DSC04971.jpg

DSC04970.jpg

DSC04969.jpg

Still have some filing down on the fan port but for the most part a little clean up and almost done with this portion.

I did, If you notice the top scar that will be cleaned up and painted. I ran a check through all of the 12v systems last night and including the fan control. It works like a champ. So as far as clean up. I am going to tighten up all of the wiring and get it routed through there nicely. Then I have to get the back filed down and evened out. Then paint it.

So the hard part is done. I know I will get pictures on here as soon as my camera is charged. The control box is finished and looks good. So now I need to get over to Todd's house and trim down this heatsink. Then we wil be complete. Because it is really going to take me about an hour to wire and mount the lights to the heatsink. Like I said I will post pictures as soon as I get the camera going. Lorrie, just wanted to say thank you for being so patient. They will be done soon.

So the hard part is done. I know I will get pictures on here as soon as my camera is charged. The control box is finished and looks good. So now I need to get over to Todd's house and trim down this heatsink. Then we wil be complete. Because it is really going to take me about an hour to wire and mount the lights to the heatsink. Like I said I will post pictures as soon as I get the camera going. Lorrie, just wanted to say thank you for being so patient. They will be done soon.

No need thank me. Its so cool that you are building it. Thank you.

ahh I was meaning to keep an eye on the forums in case you started a build thread for this tank.

the hole(s) for the fuge light will fit one of these heatsinks: PC VGA Video Card Heatsinks Cooler Cooling Fan V7 NEW - eBay (item 220573552748 end time Mar-12-11 01:35:34 PST)

if you give the little fan on it just 4-5v it will keep pretty much any single LED cool. I run one on an XP-G at ~2A

also I ended up scrapping the light for other projects so if you want the the parts for the mounting arm to mount that heatsink you can have them for a frag or whatever. I finished them up pretty nice and anodized them black too.

Back