ready to buy corals..opinions please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

volivier

I have a 135 gallon tank, 150 watt w/2 actinic on one end and 2x96 watt power compact on the other end. What would you recommend to put in? Have a uv sterilizer, sump with sandbed, sand in tank, live rock. RO unit ordered. Looking at xenia, acropora.....anything to stay away from coral wise?

welcome to reef frontiers!!! if you are new to the hobby I would stay away from all sps corals, (acropora's)

what part of kansas do you live in, I am from Great Bend originally....

Matt

corals and location

Hi, I am from harper, KS 30 Miles SW of Wichita, KS I've had corals before, just new to the MH light so I have a whole new world open to me now. LOL

yes you do, I would definately wait and gain experience before you try the sps, they are very difficult to have.

Matt

Kinda depends on what you like. I really like frogspawn, torch, hammer, bubble, and corals like that. The down side they are aggesive and harm other corals.
I loved green star poloyps, pink star poloyps and the like. BAD news now. I am scrapping them off the rock with a razor blade.
Mushrooms are cool, but they seem to invade the tank too.
Montipora corals and acro corals are my favorites now. Merlina is neat, hydnophora is neat. Clams are cool.

a good book for starters too...

see my list of "fav links..." stickied atop this forum for a detailed list of recommended books and why.

For starters, though... do seek Tullock's and Borneman's

For the price of two corals, you will have many lives and likely many hundreds of dollars for reading these first :)

That all said, I suggest you focus on a group of corals and take note of how large they likely get even in the short term (1-3 years) and be patient early on by stocking lighly to allow room for growth and to minimize stress and losses due to allelopathy or overall poor water quality of/in a crowded tank.

If you like Xenia... any of the Xeniids can be quite hardy and fast growing once established. I agree too... stay away from most Acros and so-called sps to start with until you have firm control and understanding of mineral levels and how to very consistently maintain them.

minimal actual tissue for one thing which means less margin of error for spotting infections, damage, etc before losing the entire colony. Also far greater sensitivity to water quality and maintenance than a zoanthid, for example.

Back