Ready to connect Ca Reactor - Suggestions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tkmak

OK, I have posted on this subject before. I just put the finishing touches on my homebuilt Ca Reactor, using DJ88's as a model. Got the thing running, no water leaks, added the ARM (Pacific Coast Imports), got my filled 5lb CO2 tank, milwaukee inst needlevalve/bubblecounter/solenoid and milwaukee CO2/pH controller.

I understand the idea, the chemistry of the thing, and got return posts on my last thread regarding how the sump pump and effluent is done.

I have a maxijet to be placed in the sump and an irrigation gate valve on the effluent. I plan to make slow CO2 bubble increments and initially regularly test the effluent until I get about pH6.5. Effluent rate is being planned at about 3ml/min on a 50gal/20gal refug setup.

I plan to place the pH sensor for the controller in the inlet of the sump (testing tank water, not interior of Ca Rx)

Unless I got that wrong, that is not where my question comes in....

Once I got the thing dialed in and working fine, I am worried about plummeting pH in the main tank. Should I be??? If so, suggestions?

I have heard to ensure the following to help with tank pH maintenance:

a/ make sure you have a good surface agitation in the main tank to ensure CO2/O2 gaseous exchange

b/ may want to incorp a degas chamber with ARM to lessen the pH of the effluent (dissolving more ARM in the process) which mine already has.

To take care of a/ , I have a good amount of protein skimming, a good skimmer box, and the water entering the sump is well aerated as it comes down the skimmer exit.

I seen some people do this.Try hanging a small cup in your sump and let the outlet of your reactor drip in the cup. Place the PH probe in the cup and let it fill up and drip into the sump. You can check your effluent coming out of the reactor. Try to maintane 6.5 ph in the cup I think thats were you want to be. Speed up or slow the drip as is needed.
Also have a probe for tank water only and keep a eye on that. Things can go wrong quick so be careful.
Remember the reactor is to help keep the water were you want it not to get it there. Hope this helps.

Terminix has a good idea there. Thats what I did. I just dont have enough SPS to consume the cal and as a result mine worked up to 650 and I had to pull the plug. I jumped the gun on connecting mine i think.... but others should chime in.

Hello;

Once you get it set ---- many plumb the output (into) the skimmer to help blow off a little CO2. Some run the output over their Algae bed.

Randy Holmes-Farley, full Article: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Aerating the water with "normal air," driving out the excess carbon dioxide, will move the aquarium parameters along the green line of Figure 3, raising pH to just over pH 8.3. This effect is also what would happen if the growth of macroalgae were used to absorb some of the excess carbon dioxide, although it is rare for that effect to be able to move it all the way along the green line to above pH 8.3."

"Using limewater (kalkwasser) to deplete the excess CO2 (to normal levels), and also to raise the alkalinity (to 4 meq/L) could move the curve along the green line in Figure 5, resulting in a pH over 8.4 and an alkalinity of 4 meq/L (11.2 dKH)."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I like my unsubstantiated biased opinion better than your proven scientific facts!"

"OFM"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy!

OFM

Back