Ro/di systems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
hi doods and doodettes.
i just wanted to ask this question.
is there such a thing as an ro/di unit gettting old?
mine is a water general mfg. co. (that's what it says in there) .
i've had it for 2 years, am i ever gonna need to replace some parts?

Hmm...not sure about parts, but you will need to change you filters and the membrane. My membrane lasted just over a year before I needed to replace it, and the filters I change out every time I change the DI resins. What is the TDS coming out of the unit?

ohh Nikki for a moment i felt like Tarzan :D
i had no clue what you were talking about :p and good thing you said this because i didn't know.
well i don't have a refractometer :( , so i have no clue on the tds, my membrane was rated for 5 years, but i don't know how truthful is that .

A refractometer reads what the salinity of your water is. A TDS meter is something different. It measures the total dissolved solids of the water. The TDS of my tap water is just about 500 (softened), then it is 0 after the RO/DI unit. I know when my readings start to increase, then it is time to change out my filters. When the water going into the DI from the RO membrane increases significantly, then it was time to change that out. Here's your reading assignment: Reverse Osmosis/Deionization Systems to Purify Tap Water for Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley

Hope it helps!

Gabby...I leave ro/di problems with the water company here to sort out which my friend owns. They can't afford to give their customers crappy water as in the Bahamas, ro/di water is a big thing and there are a lot of water companies competing for the market. So I just buy my water from them at $2.50 for 5 gals delivered to my door (regularly $4.50, but like I said, he's a friend). Can't help you there about your unit getting old, but one thing to remember...Nothing last forever e..x..c..e...p..t.....Diamonds!!:D

tmorr37, I was thinking about getting that unit. How is it? Have you had any problems and how is it built?

any help is always good :) .
Linkki, i'm still reading the article but so far, i think it's a great article and it's helping me a lot about understanding my ro/di unit :) .
tmorr , well my unit looks like the ones in there but i really have no clue to much about it since the husband bought it and he's not here right now, but i will find out, but thanks for the link.
i don't think my ro/di unit is bad, but since Nikki told me about the TDS, i'll be buying one.
Krish you are a lucky guy dood :D .

Back