Running a fish tank without arms or legs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dexter

About me:
Hello. My name is Brendon McCallum, some call me Dexter. I am a 29-year-old quadriplegic man paralyzed from the shoulders down. I do not have use of my arms or legs. In July of 2007 I was in a diving accident which left me how I am today. I've had a tough time for while and it is definitely a hard road but I do a good job at it. I have caregivers here to help me out but I won't be able to look in the back of the chambers or put my hands in the tank ever.

I have really enjoyed this hobby from the very beginning. I've had my ups and downs but I think I've done a pretty good job up to this day. To tell you the truth, this fish tank has saved my life. For a long time I did not want to continue my life because it is so hard to live with this condition. I thought and wanted to end my life regularly. This fish tank has given me goals and inspiration to do something and look forward to it. I am very excited about getting into this hobby.

Here are a few articles that were written about me from a local paper.
http://www.stpns.net/view_article.html?articleId=54342133254335234
http://www.stpns.net/view_article.html?articleId=65341039801006190

Also here is the story about my accident a local radio station interviewed me on.
They put the interview up on their website. I shared my story of where I'm at and how I've overcome some pretty tough challenges to get me here today. Their website Uploaded the show so you can listen to it online. The website address is www.mwpradio.com and the radio show is called Motivation with a purpose. Go click on the podcast button and you'll see a link that says Brendon McCallum on January 25th 2010.

This is a great website and it seems like everyone on here seems so helpful. I attended the frag swap just last week that it was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! I met a few of you out there and hopefully I'll see you again since everybody is right around the area.I'm going to have a lot of questions and hopefully everyone won't mind helping me out. If there are any suggestions that you have please let me know. I love getting ideas and feedback.

Here is the one of the most recent pictures that I have of my tank I took a couple of weeks ago. Tell me what you think!

CIMG0174.jpg

Here is a link from another forum I've used from the very beginning. It's on a website called Nano-Reef. I've kept a log from the very beginning and uploaded pictures along the way. Please, feel free to read it and let me know your thoughts. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=169965

Last edited:
Oh wow thanks for sharing your story with us. Your tank looks great and I cant wait to see more. I will have to go look up your tank on Nano-reef to see how it came along.

Here are just a few other photos I've taken. I've got a ton more but I thought I would these up.

CIMG9682.jpg

CIMG9837.jpg

CIMG0162.jpg

CIMG9212.jpg

CIMG9675.jpg

CIMG9839.jpg

CIMG9841.jpg

CIMG9851.jpg

CIMG9893.jpg

CIMG9396.jpg

CIMG9293.jpg

Last edited:
Dexter, those are some awesome pictures, looks to me like you have your little piece of the ocean. Very nice rockwork, and by the looks of things your inhabitants are very happy.

Nice looking tank. From the FTS you can't see all the little details that are there with the close up pics. That yellow gorgonian is amazing. I did notice that the blue tang has a bit of a sunken in belly. Some nori on a clip should fatten him right up. :)

Whats the size of the tank? Everything looks really healthy. Are those orange zoas Bam Bams? Is it a cube tank?

Its 29 gallons. It's a bio cube. I'm not exactly sure what kind they are so if you know please let me know.

Last edited:
how do you like the frags i gave you at the swap glad to see you here to how is your clam and did you get your leds

Its 29 gallons. It's a bio cube. I'm not exactly sure what kind they are so if you know please let me know.
Hey Dex......24nanoguy from Nanoreef.com
Glad to see you found reef frontiers, lots of info over here.
Good to see you over here bro!

Nice looking tank. From the FTS you can't see all the little details that are there with the close up pics. That yellow gorgonian is amazing. I did notice that the blue tang has a bit of a sunken in belly. Some nori on a clip should fatten him right up. :)

Dude! Thanks for the suggestion. I went out picked a clip up and some nori last night. that thing was torn through by the morning!

how do you like the frags i gave you at the swap glad to see you here to how is your clam and did you get your leds

Hey man Thanks a ton for the kind generosity. That really meant a lot to me. The clam looks pretty sweet. I'm going to be doing the lighting upgrade here very shortly. My new good friend Todd is going to be helping me out!

Hey Brendon,

Did your lighting upgrade kit come in yet? Let me know and I'll pop over and get it wired up for you. Your clam and LPS corals should do much better with the added light. Also did you buy the Purple Hornets yet? That Green Gonipora I rescued from your tank has started to come back pretty well, but not sure how it will grow out.

Todd

No upgrade yet. I think it should be here by Wednesday or Thursday. But the top of the skimmer should be here today. As for the purple hornets....naa. I was interested in it but didn't think I would really go for it.

You got the gonipora growing again huh? Good to hear! I'll have to see it down the road. ;o)

Dexter, welcome to RF! You will find the folks here helpful in more ways than one for sure. I love looking at tanks big and small. I like your close up photos! Amazing creatures.

Back