Saltyfish's Skimmer Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

Well I am in the process of ordering all the parts and materials to build a very capable protien Skimmer for James.

some of the specs of this beast: It will be a Dual stack 4 beckett injector recirculating skimmer. James and I chose this style to acomodate his 34'' tall stand. this will make this skimmer twice as powerfull as a comparable beckett skimmer. The 4 injectors will push an amazing 50scfH air each for a total of 200SCFH.
I am still waiting on special order materials.
this skimmer will be constructed with 3/8'' cellcast acrylic on the box and all flanges and the tube will all be 1/4'' wall cellcast acrylic.

here is a start on the pluming I have picked up. 48pcs so far and still waiting on 8 bulkheads and the gatevalve...
matts125

here are the materials to build the 4 beckett injectors, they will be very easy to access and clean...
matts125

Look forward to some progress in a couple weeks!
first things first my wife and I are expecting our 3rd child in the next week or so.

Thanks for looking!!!
Matt

Last edited:
This is awesome!

Thank You Matt I cant wait to see it go together, wish we lived closer so I could see how you do it all exactly.

Thank you and keep up the great work.

Thanks
James

Skimmer building school or just MIT

LOL

I have no idea I can just tell you I get very confused with all the math and conversions

Cool project! Where does one learn to build skimmers?

I learned from just having a desire. I literally looked up the tools I needed, went and bought them in the cheapest form I could and started experimenting. a few days later I had built a large skimmer and a few Kalk reactors...

lots and lots of practice to get proffesional build quality...

matt

I just want to add a correction to the first post.

My steel frame stand is made out of 2x2 tubing and stands 42" tall but I only have 34 to 36 inches between the bottom shelf framing and the underneth of the top of the stand.

The stand is double powder coated that is baked on to help keep it rust free.

Nice stand. 200scfh! WOWSA. You better make it have an extremely wide neck! Can't wait to see the progress.

Nice stand. 200scfh! WOWSA. You better make it have an extremely wide neck! Can't wait to see the progress.

Luke this will be a dual stack beckett, there is no way to move 200scfh through a normal beckett skimmer unless it has a 7''-8'' neck

thought I would post a pic of my plans on cutting the 3/8'' cast sheet. these cuts are all for the box and flanges. there are exactly enough cuts to build 2 identical skimmers.

matts125

Hey matt!
you should down load a free CAD program to get your drawings to scale nad with graphs and measurments to help you out!
That what i did for my DIY homestuff!

interesting, coming along for the ride

Interesting build thread. Coming along for the ride. Thanks for posting. Can't wait to see the skimate accumulate.:eek: James is a lucky guy.

Eric in LFP

Last edited:
I believe Matt is tending to his Wife. She must have given birth.

I just wish he would get online and say wife and baby are ok.

the baby is still brewing LOL, my wife is dialated to a 3.5-4 cm as of this morning, so any time now...

I am so excited!!

BTW I got all the 3/8'' sheet cut. the cast tube will be in next week. then time permiting I will be off to the races...

Matt

so I got all the acrylic in and cut. next is lots and lots of time on a router table making round keyhole flanges!

all the square and rectangle pieces on the floor are for the box's (base) of the skimmers...
as you can see I am building two at once. (anybody?):)

pictures!!!
skimmerbuild001.jpg

skimmerbuild002.jpg

skimmerbuild003.jpg

FYI: My wife is scheduled for tomorrow morning for induction, so we should have our new baby tomorrow!!!

Im so excited!!!
Matt

Back