Scooties Project "X"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good Scooter. I agree about the special husbandry part, but do you have a refugium on there too? I haven't installed mine yet, but I can see the need!!!

Yes, actually it is 4" wide x 4" deep & shoots across the length of the tank. It sometimes is called coast to coast or trough, I'm letting the algae grow in there to see how that works out as an exporter. I don't think I'll get to complicated with the system, simpler is better IMO & I'm really trying to stick to that, just a matter of what it takes to make a complicated system work with a simple design. I'm continually tweaking things to get the most out of everything & getting rid of stuff that just doesn't do enough to help things out. That is one reason why it isn't completely loaded just yet, eventually I'll have a system that will work with less effort than most would imagine & have it that way by design.

Yes, actually it is 4" wide x 4" deep & shoots across the length of the tank. It sometimes is called coast to coast or trough, I'm letting the algae grow in there to see how that works out as an exporter. I don't think I'll get to complicated with the system, simpler is better IMO & I'm really trying to stick to that, just a matter of what it takes to make a complicated system work with a simple design. I'm continually tweaking things to get the most out of everything & getting rid of stuff that just doesn't do enough to help things out. That is one reason why it isn't completely loaded just yet, eventually I'll have a system that will work with less effort than most would imagine by design.

Kind of like an ATS then huh?

LOL yea, lets hope it works, it is just getting into maturity now!
I'm still not happy with the skimmer, had issues last night, I thnk that Eheim would be what I need on there, also I'm going to mesh mod the thing.:mad:

I am looking into getting my fuge goin again, but I need parts!!!! I do have a small nitrate issue going on.

Funny thing Charlie, I have no traceable traits or ammonia, can test daily & still not read any but I do have an Export problems & I do have phosphates from food & poop, I need to get it out quicker & that is the problem I'm having now. The coast to coast works better with more flow through it & right now I got the biggest Eheim on it, so that will be another upgrade once Eheim comes to the US with their two bigger pumps that they have in Europe.
Another thing, If I use filter socks, then the skimmer really doesn't need to skim much but then I have to replace the sock almost daily which washing them it going to cost too much on a regular basis, unless i may use like 5 socks & wash only once a week, I haven't gone to that just yet. All I know you have to Export what you put in, I guess that is where your refugium would kick in but that is where I'm bucking the system, I don't want one because they also come with a series of requirements adding to the totally system but maybe the trough will start kicking in & helping as one.

Personally, I think that if you added a fuge, it might cut down on your maintenance requirement once it gets going. I never touched mine way back when, and it grew all kinds of algae, but nothing ever got to the display, it was basically clean.
Try to not outthink yourself Scooty, you know what I mean???

Thanks Ben!
Clamy.jpg

One more :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back