Scooties Project "X"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I found a leak yesterday, It is in a place where I had a leak before & tried a patch job, I don't know what I was thinking & should of repaired it properly. If is one of the Top CL 3/4" outlets, I'll have to drain about 6" or 7" of tank water, then remove the bulkhead & re-thread the 3/4 close nipple. The threaded fitting is what is seeping water, the problem is I have a pile of epoxy over the joint but it isn't lasting as I hoped. So now tonight I hope to find enough parts as in another nipple & I think I have another BH that I can swap out & hopefully fix this right & be done with it, as everyone knows it could be a real mess & anything can go wrong, so I hope I can figure it out & fix it without too much issues.
On a side note, last night I found my sixline in the overflow trough, don't know how he got there, I'm guessing he jumped with luck & wifes help we got him back in, still don't know how i caught him, I was real lucky to get him in the small net in such a tight spot.
Well after over a year I have a algae on rocks, when I rearranged everything it just bloomed up, nice green algae LOL! I need to do some through cleaning & rock blowing but hope it doesn't get too bad.
Ok done for now, I'll update with the repairs, good or bad LOL!

Good luck on the repair Scooter. Maybe the six line swam into the net just to get out of the overflow? :) Decided this wasn't the place he wanted to be any more. :D

Well after three hours of surgery, I managed to replace the HD 3/4" Bulkhead, I guess It could of been worse. Knock on wood no leaks so far, maybe in ten years if it doesn't leak, then I'll say it was done right!:oops:

02-04-2008 update!

I was busy this weekend, It doesn't show much but I did mount the A/C fans finally, relocated the 6" fan over the water surface. I also removed the block of wood each light was hanging from & installed chains & lowered them closer to the water surface, about 6" from the lamp.

Lights_Large_.jpg

A_C_fans_Large_.jpg

Running at 60CFM's each 25dB's they move a lot of air but you do hear them. I forget the type of bearing they have but they are made to last. Cost $13:50 Each & are 4 1/2" or 120MM fans.

Nice coral! Are your 4 1/2" fans running in conjunction with your lights or do they run 24/7? Also, I think the chains hanging your lights have a cleaner look to them as opposed to the two blocks of wood. Probably easier to adjust height as well...

I don't need the fans just yet but I'll either run them on a timer with the lights or maybe in conjunction with a temp. probe, not sure yet, I have plenty of room on my PLC for that. I much rather run fans over running my chiller.

It's really coming together now Scooty! How do you like the lightig so far? Miss the blue yet? I went with the 12k and don't find them too blue like 14k.
Dude, I really like that branching rock!

Thanks everyone, I love the 10K's Frankie, not as blue but still very nice tint, I may add some T5's later to supplement light & color. That branch is so thick I can't justify it other than saying the base is as large as a baseball bat. LOL

Today I added some P absorber by Sechem & a new batch of carbon while replacing my 5 micron filter sock. I've also used the mag 7 to blow off the rocks & making another 35g of ro/di water for a wc Sunday, & I'll do another Tuesday, I need to stay on top of the cleaning & get back less algae. The tank is looking great & still have lots of work to do on it when I get time. In a week I'll be taking pictures of my new fish that will be released from QT, I have a Tomini that replaced my Hippo. I sold the Hippo & opted for a smaller species, even though I doubt I'll ever find a better fish than the hippo for many reasons.

04-07-2008 Update:)

Been a while since last updated, I have room for more corals as you will see but actually I have 5 but two are frags & are too small yet to see well on a full tank shot, also one (Metallic Trumpets) I moved & you can't see them but they are recovered from the Phosguard incident & doing well.
I've recently re-inserted my skimmer, cleaned it well & lubed it, so it runs quieter now & doing well, I do hope to get an Eheim pump for it what they are more easily available & not $300 as I have seen them. I do have an Eheim canister filter & use it for media such as carbon & GFO phosphate remover from one of our sponsors. I also bleached some LR as per Boomer instructions & you will see the difference LOL, I have more bleaching as we speak. I have the new tang in place will leave the rest for him to feed on as tomini's are heavy grazers. Ever since I'm mounted the lights on chains & lowered them 6" off the water, the Blue tip & that yellow coral have grown like crazy, can't say the same for the tort frag, it was under 14K 400W radiums & my lights were just too much for it & bleached it but I think it will survive as it still looks alive & I lowered it, I have confidence it will turn blue & grow one day:)
Last week I replaced 60G of water & will do another this weekend, I'm getting a new 75gph membrane to replace my first one, production has dropped off & everything else is all new. Water parms are all 0's & CA is riding at 420ppm, i need to get another alk & mg test but right now only wc's are keeping it up, using reef crystals & tested last bucket made up at 35ppt to 400ppm ca, I bump it slightly with turbo ca & it seems to be working out fine. Also before I bleached the LR, I scrapped as much coralline of as I could into the water so I can hopefully grow more on the new rocks. With the 6" fan blowing across the water surface, two ac fans in the back blowing out, I haven't needed the chiller at all, sure wish I could remove it but it is early yet, actually right now the only fan running is the 6" & it is on a timer, working out nicely but would like to automate that some with a temp. probe one day.
think that is it, so how about a few pics!;)

All of these shots were taken in complete darkness, no lights at all!
Camera used Nikon D70, Tokina 28-80mm pro lense, SB 600 flash, on remote, I held it over the tank!:shock: All Un-touched!

Cool pictures Scooter. How do you like being BB? I lost my patients with BB and dumps a 4" sand bed in. Are you getting good coralline growth?

I like BB but it really requires special husbandry, once I prefect it I'll let you know what it takes:D, I'm getting better at it though, it isn't as easy as one thinks but sand isn't either after a while LOL!

No, I 'm just now starting to see specks on the back since I scrapped some off the last few weeks, I'll continue this after a good WC & see If I can get it going better, I really think coralline would help keep the ugly algae off the rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back