SEA-MAX 2011 in Seattle, WA!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

twas a lot of fun looking around. Looked like there were plenty of people and all the booths were full so I am hoping that means it is a grand success and we will see another one of these soon. Great job to the organizers and to all the people who were in the booths.

Great event! Saw lots of faces, and tons of cool corals and fish. Even got a cool door prize for being the first in line 20 minutes before opening! My daughter enjoyed the facepainting, the lovely mermaids, and the goodie bags that came from a couple booths. Thanks to everybody involved, and please come back again.

it was a little pricey to get in the door....then there was not any great deals......a little disappointed....MY OPINOIN

Great event. Lots of super corals and products.
Not all that pricey, IMO
Got to say hi to a bunch of people, new and old.
Wish I could have stayed longer and talked.

Anyone need some specimen cups? lol

What a great show! Found exactly what I was looking for - a nice size frag of the REAL Blue Matrix Acro from Barrier Reef! Thanks Cy - it really looks AWESOME...polyps were extending immediately. Let's do this again next year!

The price at the door was just fine. There were great deals on everything and all the vendors were very willing to talk, explain their products, and not push for sales. I had a great time for over six hours with my fellow reefers. Thanks For coming to Seattle MAX!

...then there was not any great deals..

One booth had a buy three for ten each and get one free. Four corals for $30 is as "great" a deal as it gets anywhere in the nation. Trust me, deals dont get any better than that in this hobby unless thay are coming from a close friend.

Forums contain opinions good and bad.

Dj , why does everyone give you a hard time:drum:

I hope SEAMAX comes back every year its great for our reefers!!!!!!!!!

SEAMAX are you coming back again ?

I thought it was an excellent event.
I got crazy deals!!!
and 5 free t-shirts... :)
excellent speakers and topics,
saw some folks i havent seen in a few years,
and hob-nobbed with the big wigs.
...i have to go back tomorrow!!

Last edited:
It was fun. I think I got some great deals...came home with a lot of sweet corals. And I bit the bullet and bought a new LED lighting system. I CANT WAIT for it to get here...

ya ya i know i just say just how i feel.....i think that the bob moore was just as good......price to get in the door really effects on how much willing to spend....ya ill lbe back tommorrow trying to get some good deals.....as long as the ticket is good for both days( i dont know how it wouldnt be what if you won a prize)

I'm almost 100% certain the ticket is good for one day only? Can someone confirm?

I too thought it was ok, not great. Probably a lot of smoking deals to be had by people buying $$$$ equipment, not so much for someone just looking for frags. That being said I got 5 really cool corals and paid really fair prices for everything.

If the ticket is good for two days I'm totally coming back tomorrow since I'm sure there will be great deals.

The ticket is only good for one day. If you entered in a raffle I think you were supposed to stick around for the drawing. I don't know if they were holding prizes for a later pick up or drawing another ticket if no one was there to claim the prize. They had raffles today and a whole new set of raffles tomorrow. We found the show amazing with great deals all over and even more great people to talk to.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The price at the door was just fine. There were great deals on everything and all the vendors were very willing to talk, explain their products, and not push for sales. I had a great time for over six hours with my fellow reefers. Thanks For coming to Seattle MAX!

I agree with this 100%. I was able to pick up 4 cool looking frags for $30.00. I also liked that almost all the vendors were willing to take the time for Questions in regards to their products. Very cool indeed and I hope that if we get another expo like this that we can have more vendors and manufactures involved. And maybe a few more LFS involvement wouldn't hurt too.

The only gripe I have is that it should've been mentioned BEFORE the event that it would be a cash only at the door to get into this event. I would've come more prepared (IE: More cash on hand).

Other than that I hope that it was enough of a sucess to see SeaMax in 2012. Otherwise I think my wife is already hinting at taking me to MAX 2012 in California. Love my wife :D

Cheers,
Alex

Hi everyone,
SEA-MAX day 1 is over and we are absolutely beat.
thank you for the wonderful comments, good and bad. I feel compelled to appologise for those who feel $25 was too expensive, however please try to understand the incredible costs that are associated with trucking man and material over a thousand miles to bring you a show of this size. I think we admitted from the very beginning that SEA-MAX is not a replacement for your local frag swaps; not by any means; but rather a celebration of exhibits combining a bit of everything that this wonderful hobby has to offer. Everything from major manufacturers to distributors, to wholesalers, to LFS.s to hobby clubs and more! of the many people who sat through Bob Fenners outstanding lecture, how many actually had a seat to sit in? there is so much to still learn....so little time...so little opportunities.

As for returning?
This is completely out of my hands. All I can say is I hope we get more people on Sunday to support these vendors.

Last edited:
Some of the vendors were a little high. $100 for a 1/4" chip is steep no matter how "Rare" it may be.
But I looked around, and in the end I walked away with 5 frags plus an amazingly vibrant Blue Maxima clam for $100.
Good haul and a fun day with the family. I feel that it was a little underwhelming overall, but I honestly went in without having my hopes set too high.
Since it was the first time in Seattle I knew that it wouldn't be the same caliber as the shows in Florida and California.

My only real regret is not going tomorrow. I wanted to, but today was the only day I could get the family altogether to show up. I spoke with several vendors, and tomorrow around 5pm the real deals will be made available. One guy pointed at a whole row of $80 SPS pieces, "I'm not going home with these".
They want to come home with empty bins. I know of two that actually sold their frag tanks so they wouldn't have to ship them back.
Good luck to everyone, hope you manage some great last minute deals.

Are the tickets good both days?>

No, and I don't think that made too many vendors happy either. I heard a few mention they wish that it was for both days. People aren't willing to pay for two days...but if the second is free, they could possibly come back and spend more money.

Back