SEA SWIRL/K4 mod

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
I have two sea swirls for my 125..
I don't like to run plumbing to them cause of hoses and pumps..
SOOOO I modded a K-4 to go on the sea swirl
What I did was take the black fitting that fits on the bottom of a 3/4" sea swirl I think its one inch female slip 90 to male slip..
I cut the male end off and then cut the bottom off of the 90
Leaving a flat spot and a little hole in the back for the cord..
Next I took a dremmel and slightly flattened the top of the K-4 and roughed it up a bit..
Then I ran the wire threw the fitting and used "Ice gel" to glue the fitting to the top of the K-4
Now to tackle the fact that the plug wont fit through the sea swirl, I cut the plug off around 12" from the end..
I used press splices with heat shrink on them and clamped the two wires together after I put it threw the sea swirl..
slid the fitting on the " swirl" and POW.... Revolving power head with no ugly wires in the tank..

Last edited:
Ahhh man copy cat!!! J/K that looks good! I love these types of devices can't get better random current than these.

Good idea, but I hope you never have to take it out to clean it. If you do need to, what are your plans?
Well I have a hole in the back of the fitting to fit a pipe cleaner and there is always a vinegar bath.. the fitting is not glued to the sea swirl.. only to the K-4

What does a sea swirl cost? I can make these for less than $25.00

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

Front_View1.JPG

sea swirls are pretty expensive, but purpose generally are used with a pump rather then a powerhead mod. but your little device does look pretty cool. whats its range on motion? i would like TWO! :D

sea swirls are pretty expensive, but purpose generally are used with a pump rather then a powerhead mod. but your little device does look pretty cool. whats its range on motion? i would like TWO! :D
I get 90 degrees

I seen your build on that!

I also get 90 degrees,
I got these 2 sea swirls in a buy with an Ice cap 660 and a pinpoint PH meter and a power head and float switch
All for 100 dollars...
Cant beat that...

I get the motor for 10.00 the box for 4.00. The acrylic is from other projects, the links are 2.00 and the bearing is 3.50. Hardware is less than a buck and a cord is .50. The rest is time.
There is no way I could do this just for the parts, sorry.

Back