Sept. 16 2006 Scott Michael visits PSAS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jesshimom

I have no fish.
September 16 2006 will be our first meeting for the new year. Scott Michaels will visit with us. He will also have his new book for sale and will happily autograph it for you! Here's a little tidbit I found about Scott... "Scott W. Michael is an underwater photographer widely regarded as one of the world's foremost authorities on the behavior and husbandry of reef fishes in aquarium systems. He is a regular contributor to Aquarium Fish Magazine and has served as a scientific consultant to National Geographic Explorer and the Discovery Channel. He is the author of Reef Sharks and Rays of the World (Sea Challengers), and Aquarium Sharks & Rays (Microcosm).

This meeting will be held at Bellevue Community College, room TBD, at 6pm.

We will probably have a before meeting social; TBD but always like ideas!

I'd also like to add this meeting is being cosponsored by Cy and Tim of Barrier Reef Aquariums. Thanks for helping us out to bring everyone this meeting!

More info to come!

Do you guys ever hold meeting elsewhere(other then at LFS').......other then at the college, or is that your fallback area.

Hope you understand the question.

We generally meet at BCC, they have been very good to us price wise. We have occasional meetings at sponsors depending on the agenda.

Colleen

In the past there were meetings in Seattle and at the mercer island comunity center. frag swaps we have gone to houses and businesses. BCC is very central and can hold a good amount of people for not a ton of money. When I was on the BOD people were thinking of new places to hold meetings and never came up with good idea's. Local tank tours are probably done now because you cant easily have 50+ people in each home. Last years BBq we were praying for good weather because there was no way we would have fit the 75+ people in MOJOREEF's house. The house party feel just doesn't would good for comunication.

Colleen, strange question but as a new regular here who is enjoying the benefit of the forum, who or how do I pay for PSAS membership dues?
Don't even know how much. The PSAS website didn't seem to have any info on it which is strange (and counter-productive to fund raising:D)
1. How much are dues?
2. Who do I pay?
3. Dates it covers?
4. Maybe a webmaster could edit the home page to add a dues page.

Regards and keep up the good work,

We are currently working on the web site and Ive asked for a membership info page; we're even going upscale to get a PO Box so we can just post it on the site so no email is required.. :)

We are all volunteers and none of us have much time.

Our membership year starts in September, so the Scott Michael meeting at BCC will be the first of the membership "year" and everyone can join there. If not coming to the meeting, let me know and I will PM you where to mail your check until we get the PO box up and going.

Membership covers September through June and generally we take July and AUgust off, although we didnt this year.

Membership is $25 for a single or $40 for a family.

Hope that answers everything... If you are interested in helping out on the web page, we can hook you up with Josh... lol

I am good with MS FrontPage publishing software, might be able to help with the PSAS website if compatible. I will probably come to the Sept meet at BCC, will bring dues then.
Thanks for the help,

We are going to have a super fun meeting! Thanks to Barrier Reef for helping us out with this meeting. I heard they have some great deals that day only and I'm sure they will be sharing that soon!

We are having a premeeting social because they always seem so fun; and since Barrier Reef is sponsoring we are going to meet at Round Table Pizza in Issaquah near them and have a super raffle of some great corals they are donating.

How about some pictures Cy and Tim? :)

See you all on the 16th.

We here at Barrier Reef Aquariums feel very fortunate to be co-sponsoring this event with the Puget Sound Aquarium Society. I know I personally have spent many hours pouring over Mr. Michael's books, articles, and photographs so to meet him in person will be special.

We will be open from 10am-4pm to kick off Saturday Sept. 16. The social looks like it is going to be held a few blocks away from us at the Round Table Pizza in Issaquah.

We will be offering 15% off all of our corals. Our fragging glue will be on sale for 7.99 a bottle. We will have Instant Ocean Salt buckets on sale for $30. Limit 2. Finally, we will have all frozen and refrigerated foods marked 30% off. We carry Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 & 2. DT's Phytoplankton and Oyster Eggs. Liquid Life Coral Plankton, Marine Plankton, and Bio Plankton. Hikari Mysis Shrimp Cubes.

We can also bring pre-sold corals to the meeting to be exchanged either before of after the meeting. Dry goods will only be available at our location from 10am-4pm. We will post pictures of many of the corals we have in stock in our forum. Link: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17972

Barrier Reef is also going to donate 10 corals, all captive grown, to the PSAS for their raffle later that evening. This raffle directly helps cover the cost of bringing in a speaker the caliber of Scott Michael so be sure to support our fantastic club in their efforts!! The corals for the raffle will include: 2" Blue Acropora loisetteae exactly like the Steve Tyree LE "Steve Elias Blue", California Blue/Purple Acropora tortuosa, Pulsing Xenia, Yellow Scroll, Red Montipora Capricornus, Branching Green Hammer, Green Star Polyp, Green Body Blue Tip Acro Stag, Green "Slimer" Acropora, Blue Tip Acropora Stag. If you end up winning a frag that is not compatible with your system we can work out some sort of trade for a coral that would be better suited for you. See the following post for pics of raffle corals.

Thanks and for directions to Barrier Reef please call:
Tim Cole
206-669-9590
or Cy Forell
425 241-9506
23205 SE Black Nugget Rd #C9
Issaquah, WA 98029

Last edited:
Raffle Corals

Here are the first 5 raffle corals. Acro Loisetteae, Cali tort, Red Sea Xenia, Yellow Scroll, Red Cap (frag from this colony).

More raffle corals

Here are the other raffle corals. Branching Green Hammer, Green Star, Ultra Green Body Blue Tip Stag, Green Slimer Stag, Blue Tip Stag.

evite is out

Please let me know if you did not receive yours... :)

Please note; meeting time is 7pm at BCC.

Premeeting is 430pm at Round Table Pizza in Issaquah

Barrier Reef open with great sales 1030am to 4pm also in Issaquah.

:idea: Also remember this is dues renewal month.. :idea:

steve just sneak in. We will consider you a co-guest with scott. You entry free is one frag given to me.

Back