Show your filtration Systems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Here is my homemade venturi skimmer, I don't remember how old it is but it's up there someplace, maybe ten or fifteen, I use it with ozone and it still works fine. The last one is the container where the tubes connect for the reverse UG filter, it's the green thing next to the rusty fan (give me a break, it's old) Then theres the algae trough which is under the lights and is fed from the skimmer. This was the prototype and a new one is there now.
The reverse UG has been there over thirty years but the manifold was changed a few years ago.
Not as neat as most of you guys. :badgrin:
Have a great day.
Paul

need help with my sump

my daughter took my digital camera to school, but here is a description. The water comes in the top left w/two fittings, drips through a thin filter and trickles down, used to be bioballs, I just took them out about two weeks ago. Then goes through a little area where I put carbon socks, then big area where my skimmer sits and live sand around 3 inches deep, then I put in a lexan "wall" to hold sand back, it goes into another little area then sucked up with pump back to returns in my tank. Do I leave it dripping through 12" approx of air, bioball space. With different pipe I could take the top off, no trickle and maybe add more sand? What do you think I should do? Does everyone glue the fittings to bottom of tank or just push to tighten.

It is an Excaliber. Good skimmer for the money. Plug & Play, this one came with an hf rio pump, I replaced it with a rio 2100 and its really pulling out some stuff...

That's cool man...Thanks for sharing:)

volivier said:
my daughter took my digital camera to school, but here is a description. The water comes in the top left w/two fittings, drips through a thin filter and trickles down, used to be bioballs, I just took them out about two weeks ago. Then goes through a little area where I put carbon socks, then big area where my skimmer sits and live sand around 3 inches deep, then I put in a lexan "wall" to hold sand back, it goes into another little area then sucked up with pump back to returns in my tank. Do I leave it dripping through 12" approx of air, bioball space. With different pipe I could take the top off, no trickle and maybe add more sand? What do you think I should do? Does everyone glue the fittings to bottom of tank or just push to tighten.

If you remove the trickle area, would the skimmer fit in that section? The reason I ask, is you want the skimmer getting as close to raw water as you can. It might not work, and the way you have it set up is fine, I was just wondering.

I don't have my standpipes glued into the bulkheads in the overflows. I want to be able to pull them out if I need to. It has also come in handy when catching the stray fish that jumps into the overflow box.

Hope this helps!

Well better late than never to the party I guess... As with everthing this is sort of a work in progress.... This filtration setup is on my 180 currently and is one of the drivers for pulling down the 180 and moving everything temporarily to a 120 - while I remodel the fishroom to make room for everthing else....

sump just unpacked -and uninstalled it is 40"x20"x16":
dhu4tr4j.jpg

skimmer just unpacked - didn't realize I purchased a puzzle:
798b15e6.jpg

skimmer assembled -
c376bd0b.jpg

attempting to wedge all into the stand - disassembly required!
7b1c2556.jpg

All together and under the tank:
lkj34lkj.jpg

Since these were taken the electrical has been cleaned up and a small bit of the plumbing redone. We pulled the skimmer pump (mag 24 and a poor choice) out of the sump and plumbed an external sequence 3200 in to drive the dual beckett skimmer and the refugium turned frag area....

Lisa

Thanks Gaby and Krish - Seriously the setup is nice but boy is it a space hog.... that is one of the reasons I need to break down the 180 -the lack of space under the tank and plumbed water to a location near the tank.... getting into the sps end of the hobby has really opened my eyes to how vastly different the needs of the animals are.... For 13 years we kept pretty much any softie and LPS that we wanted and the tanks looked great whether BB or DSB, the tanks never evaporated a lot of water, there were never heat problems and the whole Ca requirement was so much easier to manage. Sometimes I wonder why I wanted to go to sps.... :D Oh well, I guess we have nothing better to do than re-model a fish room....for the tank and it's fancy pantsy (I really like that BTW) filtration...

Lets see what we have here. A 10 gallon fuge with Chaeto, Xenia and some rock rubble. A 20 long sump with a ASM G1X recird/gravity fed. Mag 7 return and packed in behind everything is Sequence Dart powered closed loop...let it flow baby!

DSCF0544.jpg

DSCF0947.jpg

Back