Show your filtration Systems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hi every one :)

im new to this site and have just sterted a reef tank.
i have a 4ft tank with 3 corals and 3 fish, also a new skimmer (dont know
the name :?: ) and chiller all going well, here is a pic.
installing mh next week

Nice Toolie! Thanks for sharing the picture. I'm pretty sure I welcomed you already on another thread, but if not...Welcome to RF!!!!!!

Oh man... I’m beginning to feel the similarities of this to one of the comedian Jeff Foxworthy’s monologs... “You know you’re a redneck”.
Instead, it’s more like... You know you’re a “reef geek/fish nerd” when you ooh and awe over other peoples filtration systems. lol

Mojo and dgasmd, your filtration setups are simply awesome! I hope you guys don’t mind, but I’m gonna show my wife your pictures and say to her... “See, at least I’m not that bad!” j/k

Finally... This is what I’ve been waiting to see... skimerwhisperer, I hope you see this cuz I’ve got a few questions to ask you. I’m pretty sure that protein skimmer you’re running is probably rated for a much larger tank than what you have it on now...
Is that a Euroreef skimmer and what size is it? And what size needle wheel pump does it use?
Does your skimmer’s skimmate production fluctuate given to the size of your total system?

Sorry if I’m de-railing your thread a bit again, Krish but I’m still trying to decide (for a year now) on what skimmer I want to get for my bigger sump setup. I always read and hear people suggest a person to get the biggest skimmer they can afford, but I’m wondering what to expect if I get a skimmer that’s rated for way more than what my system is. So far, I’ve narrowed it down to either an AquaC or an ASM. I’m really interested in the recirculating mods that can be done to the ASM but I haven’t seen much feed back on how well it actually works. I’ve also read that they use the same needle wheel pumps that Euroreef uses but I’m not sure if the aspirating venturi’s are the same, which makes me wonder if the bubble size and amount are the same as well. Again, sorry for my rambling but this is what’s been going through my head for quite some time now, and I’m trying to look for some answers. :rolleyes:

Here is mine, pretty simple setup...get the biggest tank I could possibly jam in the "sump closet" (it's a 110g) then cram a 6' tall air driven skimmer in it :lol:

Last edited:
Sorry if I’m de-railing your thread a bit again, Krish

You don't ever need to apologize Haole. Once my name is on a thread, I don't care what you want to talk about...Even if you want to know what seasoning is the best for steaks(LOL). I have and AquaC EV-120 on my tank and I love how it works. My only problem has been getting the detritus to get into my overflow. I have no problem keeping anything suspended in my tank, but just getting it to the overflow is what I have to work on. As for the other 2 skimmers you spoke about (ASM and Euroreef) they were basically my only other 2 options. However, I needed something that could work externally.

Todd, no need to say your setup is simple. Simple is usually the best way to go. Your tank speaks for itself in that you don't need every equipment out there to have a beautiful tank!

haole-
the model of euroreef i own is a cs5-2 which is rated for a 75-100g aquarium. imo, it's not really that much overkill, i get very consistant results in sofar as skimmate is concerned. the pump it comes with is the sedra 3500, and by the way, the pumps, needle wheel, and asperating venturi on the asm skimmers are exactly the same as the euroreef brand. occasionally you'll see a euroreef with a dolphin pump, but other than the name brand, the pumps are exactly identical to the sedra pumps. also, i do really like the recirculating models of asm skimmers that you can buy from www.asmskimmer.com they take all the hard work out of modding your skimmer. im very happy using such an oversized skimmer for my little 10g, it's a clean ass tank :)

Thanks so much for answering my questions and the additional info about the pumps and venturi’s, skimerwhisperer! Although the link may help others, but personally I didn’t need it since I’ve been perusing and studying that site for quite some time now. lol
Man!.... This has got to be one of the toughest decisions for me in regards to what I want to get for my tank! I can only fit a 20 gallon tall aquarium in my stand to be used as a bigger sump. I want to be able to have a section to grow some cheato for additional nutrient export, but with the size of a needle wheel skimmer, there really isn’t much room to do both. On the other hand, the AquaC’s are much more compact and the possibility is there to incorporate both or have it external. BUT.... I’d be loosing the added range of adjustment you can get with a needle wheel skimmer that includes the recirculating feature. Ohhhh!.... Decisions decisions. lol :rolleyes:

Tough decision there Rob... If you really want the needle wheel skimmer I think you should get it IMO. They are really good skimmers from what I have read (Euroreef and ASM) and if you really wanted to add Cheato for nutrient export, then why not get or make a hang on refugium to keep the cheato? I figured with such a good skimmer, if your flow is set up efficiently to direct water to your sump, then it should remove a lot of the junk out of your water before it has a chance to breakdown and cause a problem and therefore you wouldn't (or I should say shouldn't) have much excess nutrients left over to have to be removed. The cheato you would be able to keep in a hang on fuge should do the trick...Just a thought

This is just a little bump on the thread and also to say that the first picture I posted of my setup will be different when I'm done changing around things. For starters, there won't be anymore bio-balls and no trickle filter either. It has been converted to a sump (rather than a wet/dry) with a few more changes under the stand. I will post some pictures as soon as I get my computer back.

i changed a few things myself krish. I keep havinf nitrate problems and keep looking for solutions this is the newest. old sump turned new refugium. can anyone tell me which would be the best algae to run in it? steve

sryder said:
i changed a few things myself krish. I keep havinf nitrate problems and keep looking for solutions this is the newest. old sump turned new refugium. can anyone tell me which would be the best algae to run in it? steve

Nice job!!! Try some chaeto or some seagrass, they won't go sexual on you, and everyone with a fuge that lives near you will want some!!:D

thanks charlie. a while back i actually thought of putting some sea grass in the main display for a more natural look. would you suggest any certain type for that application?

Back