Some new pics

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Here's some new ones.
3304404501_73e6f51af8.jpg

3304403797_2ec48879cc.jpg

3305222750_87ef853baf.jpg

3291309814_37282b5ec1.jpg

Great looking fish, with gorgeous coloring! Glad to see he is looking happy!:)

What lens are you using for your camera, we have a Cannon 5D, but no macro lens for it.

Last edited:
I love Potter's they have amazing markings I have one on special order I wish it would come in :( Love the pics I really like the one where the Potter's looking up lol.

Thanks all!!

Tony, for those pics, I used the 100mm Macro, hand held.

Nicole and Gary, to answer your question from the Zoanthid ID thread, without taking their thread any further off topic, I do like the 70-300mm Tamron. It can only be put in Macro mode at 180 or above. It's not a very fast lens, and has a couple other shortfalls. It's not actually a true macro, and while in Macro mode, still needs to be quite a distance from the subject to focus. When shooting my tank, in macro, I need to be almost 3' from the tank...lol.

I do use it a lot for other types of photography though. I really like it when shooting outdoors. For it's price, it's a great lens and I'd recommend it over Canons version.

Yeah I need a better lens then just the standard kit lens I HATE that thing grrr my old Canon G6 could get better macros then this thing. I did find a place local that sells used equipment and for the price they want it's too good to pass up on that lens I also been looking at macro's too.

You can pick up the Tamron 70-300 new for under $190.00. I will say, if you're planning on spending that much, spend another $150.00 or so, and find a good deal on a used 100mm macro. If you'll be using it primarily for your reef tank, it'll be a much better lens. You can find them new for about $490.00 and used in the $375-$400 range. If you do go with the 70-300, definitely plan on using a tri-pod for most of your shots and, as I said, you'll need to be quite a distance from the tank. Another option would be the 50mm 1.8. I use that lens a lot for tank pics. It's a very fast lens and MUCH cheaper than the 50mm 1.2 Macro. Can't get 1:1 Macro shots with it, but you can get nice, sharp images that can then be cropped.

Very cool shots. Are you going to post the pics I heard about being taken yesterday? I was too busy to come over and didn't actually read the PM until 3 hours after you planned on having some people over. I'd love to see the pics though.

The angel is pretty too. Any problems with nipping?

Back