Some Plumbing for Nikki

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gosh, thanks everyone for the responses on how to repair this. I greatly appreciate all the advice! Since we have Weldon 16 to use with a syringe and needle - we're going to try it first. Tonight and tomorrow we'll load the stuff in there and see if that helps. We are also going to check the other side of the MBV to make sure it doesn't leak, since it never had a turn with water.

Well, I put the second coating of weldon 16 on last night. The resident engineer was away on business, and just returned home, so of course I'm going to hound him to test it out. I actually hear him messing around on the tank, so we'll see. I'll hopefully have some good news in the next couple of days.

The overflow plumbing works perfectly, and I've had it running for 2 days now. The coast to coast is AWESOME! Anyone building a tank, I highly recommend it. I'm very pleased with all of my equipment.....everything is quiet.

GRRRRR - UPDATE

Well, the good news is the repair job on the one output side of the MBV worked great! The bad news is we were so consumed when water was pouring out the last time, we didn't notice 2 other leaks in the closed loop plumbing. One leak is on the input side to the MBV, and the other is on the closed loop...I didn't see it with my eyes, but was told it was on a Schedule 80 piece. No big deal, just a little set-back. The tricky part is getting to the piece that we can't remove. Not sure if draining the tank and pulling it off the stand is the best route. I'll see what the repair man has to say.

THE REALLY GREAT NEWS: We did run the closed loop for some time last night (the leaks were just dripping, so we stacked towels)....maybe 10 minutes or so, and had the timer switching every minute, so I could get an idea of how it was working. AWESOME!!!! All the dirt and "stuff" in the tank was brought right into the water column. There were only a couple of small places where it collected, and I know that will change with the aquascaping - but at least I have an idea where to watch. The thing I was most excited about, though, was the stuff staying in the water column. This is key to me, because in the tank situation, keep it up there to feed the corals then drop it down the overflow to be picked up by the skimmer. It's such a beautiful thing!!

Hey Nikki,
Did you figure out the priming of the CL pump, or is it an issue?
Your scedual 80 leak...... Is that a bulkhead? Looks like your well on your way to DTS recovery! :D Let's see some more pics.
Scott:cool:

Scott, no priming was necessary on the CL pump. Water filled the plumbing of the closed loop as the tank filled.

The leaks are not in the bulkheads, but if you look at my plumbing, there are 2 ball valves on either side of the actuator/MBV....one leak is coming from the PVC side of the connector (?) located between the ball valve and the actuator/MBV. The other leak is exactly the same location as my previous leak, except it is on the input side of the actuator/MBV. Easy fixes, we're just going to use the Weldon 16 again, as it worked very well. Just setting me back another couple days. No biggie.

DTS recovery? no chance, I already have dusty tank collecting in the basement, and 2 new tanks dancing like sugar plumbs in my head. :D

Plumbing Fun

Does frustration ever stop? lol The new repairs we did worked great! I've had the MBV running for a while now......well, there are a couple of more leaks that we discovered....very slow leaks. We're going to repair them when we drain the tap water out of the tank. Sheesh, my luck just never ends :D

It was me :D

Actually, I've decided that it has everything to do with the climate change, and middle America.....the PVC is adjusting to this state. ;) Hmmm....maybe all the beating I did to the plumbing out of my loc line frustration caused some of this? ;)

LOL - if I led that class....no one would have water in their tanks.

Charlie, some of my brain connections were hot when dealing with the "loc line frustration".

oooooooh, not good to be frying brain connections at such an early age:D. You must figure out a cure for that. Have you emptied the tank yet to fix the bad joints. Good luck, hope to view the cured situation in the future.

Back