Some Plumbing for Nikki

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OK....the water test isn't going so hot right now. The MBV was leaking everywhere, so we are trying to determine what happened. UGH :( Anyway, I have a few pics I'll post tomorrow of the pre water test....

WOW Outstanding!

Fantastic job to both of you. I may need to steal this plan ;)
I am going to be going through a teardown, move, and redesign soon.
I can’t wait to see some rock in that puppy.
Keep the pics coming!

S

:D :D :D Here's me when I was super excited before the water test:

4501plumb.jpg

4502plumb.jpg

Here is the sump. Please excuse the lack of organization on the wiring....
4503sump.jpg

Here's the sump getting filled with water for the test....

4504sump.jpg

:cry: :cry: :cry: Here's the culprit of the leak. We took the mbv off the tank, dried it off, and filled the leaking side....this is where the leak was coming from:

:cry: Here is another shot. We are going to try and figure out tomorrow how to repair it. Midnight and problem solving aren't going so well right now....

Sweet set-up Nikki! :) I am watching your tank closely as I plan out my 90 with a coast to coast.

:lol: i cant say flow but nikki's gonna show you how to get it :lol: looks great nikki and mike great job:)

From where it was leaking it looks to me like it is a glued joint. Could you try some aquarium silicone on it, because that joint never has to come apart? The leak is on the pump side, right?

They make a special Epoxy just for that sort of leak, it has to be cleaned really well, I wouldn't trust silicone on a hi pressure line, even though it won't have any actual pressure on it.

It is glued, and is on the right side of the MBV - the left side was never switched to the "on" position, so I hope that side doesn't leak, too (although the glue job looks good on that side). We talked about using silicone to repair this, but are not sure that would be a long term fix? Suggestions?

Charlie, not sure if it is a factory seal - Mike had glued most of the plumbing together, so I wasn't sure if this was one of the pieces.

Nope not a factory seal, that would be a Mike kinda a problem, for christ sake. the schedulae 80 grey fitting on the unions are a little more sloppy then your standard fitting, I used a ton of glue but obviously not enough on that spot of the connection. Inject some more glue inot the joint or even some weldon 16. the epoxy Scott is refering to can also be used but only do that as a last choice.

sorry hun

Mike

Yea, clean the spot really good with the purple stuff and try the t glue again, this will make the best repair, sorry I wasn't so clear on that, It doesn't look so bad.

It needs to be sealed from the inside. Any glue on the outside would be under pressure, and would have to bond pretty strongly to hold. As mentioned, #16 might do it, #40 might work great too.

I think some silicon on the inside would hold it too.

Zeph

I would go to a acrylic store and get some of their good glue, the watery stuff and a syringe and see if you can't wick some of that in their, it tends to melt into the plastic. You might run it by John at IAP, if it doesn't work you can always go another direction. I'm not so sure epoxy would stick to pvc to where i would put trust into it. If you roughed it up really good with say 60 0r 80 grit you could go to a marine store and get a tube of 3M's 5200 polyuritane sealant. I used to have a fiberglass repair co. in ft lauderdale and have used this stuff hundreds of times and you can't hardly cut this stuff off once put on something and it well stay flexable like silicone but well hold forever and i have it is made to be used below the water line on boats, in fact sitting here writing i think this stuff would be better then the glue idea, it is tenais in it holding ability. Hope this helps. John

Back