Sumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok here is photos of my system, I hope they help you. ok this is a cpr 102 inside the tank view and outside with the aqualifter pump. The card looks wierd but makes it very very quiet.

these are the baffles in my sump that needs a scrubing, and the skimmer on the other side and the power panel and the ballasts for my lights

these are the timed power to the lights and fan for cooling the tank. Also the return system in the tank. the white pvc pipe is there as a anti back siphon if the return sys is sealed and goes deep into the water if the pump powers off it will suck water back down through it and over flow the sump. You have to install what is called a shiphon break. Or you can drill a hole the pipe just below standard water level and it will suck air if the pump goes off and break the shiphon. If you drill a hole check it often to see if it is pluged by junk. I hope this helps you in some way decide what you want to do
I will be removing the baffels and makeing them taller. I am going to remove the prizam skimmer and replace with the aqua c I am going to have the next 20 gallon sump drilled for a external pump. Those are the only changes I would make. HTH Steve

SWT, TDS monitor is different from Refractometer
TDS meter is a device that checks for Total Dissolve Solids. In our world, 0=pure water and higher values means not pure. You get the idea.

Refractometer is for you to check your salinity. Accurate and easy to use device that eliminates the confusion associated with inexpensive hydrometers. Just place a couple of drops of water on the prism and hold to the light. Reads in percent and specific gravity. An absolute must for the serious marine hobbyist.

About the Euroreef site I gave you. They are not knock-offs. As you can see on their site who they are and what they do. And I think those are awesome deals.

About the aqualifter... you dont use this 24/7. You only use this to start the siphon and thats it. even on power outages, if setup properly wont loose any water inside the connection thus not loosing any continuity. here is the link...http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=KTALP

About the sump. Yes I use a 10 gallon glass tank. I used it because thats the only thing I can put inside my cabinet. Besides, I started it as refugium because I have a hangon skimmer.

But when I upgraded to Euroreef 6-1, I dropped the refugium and used it as sump.
I suggest for you to use a bigger tank like 20 gallon long or even bigger. bigger means more water volume.

I hope you can read more here...
http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

Well you are coming along nicely. Just make sure you can get a 20g long thru your doors before you go out and buy one!

Also about Overflow.

Make sure that your overflow is more or bigger than the return pump. I only use a Mag5 for my return, plus a 4 feet overhead, then it should be around 300 to 400 gph. I believe that this is enough to skim the water surface of my 40g tank. You can do bigger pumps but make sure to match your overflow... or you can even do two overflows if you really want to use big pumps for return. But also consider that if you go that route, make sure that your sump is big enough to handle the water volume.

IME, mag 5 on a 10 gallon sump with Euroreef 6-1 is good combo. My overflow is a DIY from a fellow reefer that I bough for $20.00. It works great.

And yes, the 6-1 will fit in a 10 gallon sump if designed properly.

Check other forum for used overflows.... you will save big time.

Just to help you picture it more... here are some diagrams.

sump02.jpg

I labeled all the parts so when I buy the acrylic, there is no waste, and easier to assemble.

sump03.jpg

Here is the section of the same diagram above with dimensions.

__P4230709.JPG

Here is the end result.

__P4230711.jpg

and another one.

But these images are old... now it is no longer a refugium but a sump....

__P5302229.JPG

Here it is now.

__P5302231.jpg

and another one.

On the diagrams above, I remove 3, 4 and 5. because of the size of 6-1. Note, I still dont have micro bubble issues. The flow inside the sump is just enough for the water flow...

Big t ,
i would show u a nice pic, but i broke my camra on some hard steel in my backpack, yea i know,

but the frag i have like the one u got turn nice and deep purp with white tips,
but it is only about 2 by .75 i glude it laying down it encrusted the plug and has small branches, looks great but still realy just a baby,
hey when u get back i have a peace of this nice ass blue acro i got a indoor reef, its baby blue reel nice. you will love it
i got some on plugs and they are encrusting over glue nicely
when do u get back?

Hey Doug,

I will be getting back in about 45 days or so. I will definately be looking forward to checking out your system and playing w/ that piece of steel, if you don't mind. We will have to get together on a frag order. Maybe I will be able to trade off a nub of that hot ice blue tip acro I have

T

Just some differing opinions on the CPR:
Overflow thread
Another Thread

Having only used an amiracle for 4 years, I can only speak to that. However, I have heard horror stories with the CPR. Not to mention it is much more expensive. You can make anything work as long as you recognize all the pros in cons. My fear is that you are running into this blindly, without really understanding all the variables. I would suggest using these forums to your advantage, searching you butt off, and really understanding the dynamics of each piece of equipment that you are, or plan on purchasing. Knowledge is power, and it can also save a ton of money...

Looks like you are in good hands though, just learn as much as you can and go as slowly as possible...

Oh, what about the RO/DI? Are you planning on purchasing one? Are you using distilled water or RO water now? If not, for your money, that might be one of your best investments. A euroreef isn't going to do you much good if you are continually dumping in water that has a TDS of 500. Perhaps I missed it...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Last edited:
trust me on this one guys you need to use that aqualifter ALL the time on the overflow! i had mine setup for 6 months and if i didnt keep the aqualifter on i woudl start ot get bubbles building up! trust me from experience you need to use the pump 24/7.

also i forgot to tell you about evaportation you will evaportae from the last compartment in the sump hwere your returtn pump is! and you need to meaure for a 20 long! and you cannot use a 10 gallon one you will not be abel to fit everything in it! you need a 20 long! BUT MEASAURE FIRST!!! also you might want to search top off on RC qnd firgure out a method to replace the water! i hate float switches! they screwed my last tank up! but its your call on this one! you can spend 50 and have problems or spen 350 on a dosing pump1 its your choice!

and you must use the aqualifter 24/7! trust me!

Nick

HI Everybody. I hate to disagree with people, but sometimes I just have to. I read the posts about the cpr being junk. In one the guy also smashes a Play Station 2 to death and throws it in the garbage. I have to disregard any advice from someone with a temper like that. The other ones are using a rio (read cheap and ineffective) pump. Not the aqualifter. I use my aqualifter 24/7. I turn my return pump off twice a day for feeding, and restart it. Never have I lost siphon or had any problems from my cpr. It performs exactly as stated by the manufacturer. These people are recomending U tube siphon over flows. I have to say I have seen these blocked by snails and such and the like. That is a big benifit of the C channel overflow. It is two big to be blocked by anything less than monster fish, or plastic bag.
I am also speaking from experince, I have the cpr and I am using it.
I am recomending it because your tank is filled and it would be very difficult to drill the tank while it is full of life. LOL
The 20 long fits you just have to remove and replace the center brace on the tank. How I did that was cut a peice of pvc pipe that would fit straight up and down between the stand bottom and top. I wedged it in and removed the brace. Slid the tank in and replaced the brace, then removed the pvc.
For me its like this. I have heard horror stories over just about every peice of equiptment. Generally in MY experince it is operator error. People are usually responsible for problems. NOT inaminate objects. These are only my opinions and should be taken or left as you see fit. I only share what works for me and not what I hear works for others. HTH Steve

I don't mind anyone disagreeing with me, in fact, I think the original poster needs to see/"hear" it. I too am going on experience, and in my opinion, the fewer moving parts, the better. I have seen flooded livingrooms with both, most of which are the result of user error. Both have their benefits and limitations, that really is the point (as you made, and as I feel saltwater teen fails to perhaps see). I like my simple design because it is much more cost effective, one less plug I need, and has (had) never caused any problems. Others like their CPR. No worries, I just wanted to throw out other opinions...

Also, as is the case with the internet, you get all sorts of people. I don't consider the PS2 basher to be very credible, although the credibility of anyone is questionable on these boards... However, do a search on RC, RAG, RF, RS, etc... and you will see that plenty of people have had their difficulties.

No need to apologize for having a different opinion, that is what makes the boards so beneficial...

Take er easy
Scott T.

My tanks stand doesnt have a centerbrace or a back to it, so it should be a piece of cake! I saw a guy on that forum was pissed off about this hitchhiker crab and had a short temper, so he took an m80 and wired it up, slipped it into the rock the crab was in and blew it up, and there was a cleaner shrimp right next to it! It was probably permanently brain damaged or somthing, and he could have blown up his whole tank!

Cool Scott I am glad you understand. I never want to start a fight or argument on here. I love this place, and the people here. I have learned more from this site than any book or magazine. I lurked on reefcentral for a long time, before I found this site. It feels like home for me. I never want to give anyone bad advice and I hope I have helped some people more than I have hurt. Thank YOU again for being understanding of a differnt opinion. Steve

Back