Sumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Doug, I will hook you up w/ another piece when I get back, glad to hear the others are doing well. Have you had any good luck w/ that piece that the frag you gave me? Mine seems to be coloring up, but it is hard to tell from the pics my wife has been sending me as they are not direct shots.

Hmm, so with the overflow, do you get one as big as the back of the tank? Because if your water level rises and all, its most likely it will come out all the back? I understand the overflow, it will gravity feed into sump and sump will have a pump to pump it back into the tank, and when pump doesnt run, the waterlevel will stay the same, which wont cause any mess in the tank.

The overflows that I have seen that seem to work best are the CPR overflows. Maybe 10" wide. They have a pump that comes with them that restarts the syphon if the power goes out and then comes back on.

Ok well the top of the overflow will be below the top of your tank to prevent your tank overflowing. You set the level of the overflow to be the height you want your waterlevel in the tank to be at! See now you are getting somewhere.

Yes the overflow will be submerged in your tank basically, you want a overflow that is rated to work nicely with your return pump, so it would be a good idea to decide what type of return pump you want to run ( I suggested a Mag 9 or 12) and then get a overflow that works in the 700gph to 1000gph range.(this would be good for a Mag 9 or 12)

I would go with the bigger one. If you decide you want more flow, the bigger one will be able to handle it.

I will not recommend any overflows because I have no personal experience with them, I personally run a drilled tank. But yes those would do the trick, the 800gph for a mag 9 or the 1400 for a mag 12. Here is a pic of my friend Esmith's tank and you will notice the box in the top right corner, this is his overflow that has worked very well for him, I think that it is basically the same as the one that writme posted on the previous page for you to look at on the back of his tank
252Full2.jpg

It is a very important piece of equipment.
Getting your tank drilled would be a better option, but in your case, since your tank is up and running, not an option.

I used overflow boxes on my tanks, about 10-12 years ago. Back then they were not very reliable and the syphon was broken for no reason at all.
With the newer designs and the use of the pump to restart the syphon, I have read that they are pretty dependable now.
It is cheaper to get the tank drilled and it makes the overflow bullet proof, but if you can't, you just can't.

As far as you sump you will have to look at measurements of different tanks, but I think that you could probably fit a 20g long if you twisted it around to get it thru the door.

K, what size of sump would I want? Also, I would want to get an acrlyic one so i can have a drilled Hole for the beckett skimmer? :D

Well you can certainly get a acrylic one, but I would save money on the sump and get a euroreef skimmer, very high quality, no holes required and pull out tons of crap! You could get a es 5-3 off ebay for 200 or less, and this would be money very well spent. If you want a acrylic sump it will be harder to find one used, and it is pretty spendy to have one built for you. And you CAN have a glass sump drilled quite easily.

saltwater teen i am sorry i made you feel like that but as said above, i responded in length to your questions and you didnt answer any of my questions then asked more,

anyway later tonight when i get some time i will respond!

GET A CPR 1400 GPH OVERFLOW BOX!!! i ahd that on my old 70 and it work great!

MAKE SURE I MEAN REALLY MKAE SURE you have a powerhead like the pic above that writeme43 posted with the powerhead type thing on top of the overflow! IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS YOU WILL LOOSE SUCTION AND WILL BE IN DEEP CRAP!!!

anyway tonight i will post along response with pics and everything to help you out,
but you need to answer my questiosn if i am goign to do it, deal?

anyway we will get you setup real well and you probabaly need about a 75 gps RO/DI unit i will geive you a link later to remind me in case i forget, but you can get a aquasafe one that i ahev only a smaller gpd i have a 100 gpd and you could get like i think its a 75 gpd one, and its like 60 bucks i think, then you ca get a booster pump for like 65 and you will be all setup!

but anwyay later on i will post a big old respnse to help you out!

sorry again but i get frusturated when i take the time to respond and you dont even answer any questions i ask you then go and ask more questions!

anyway look for my post later with pics!

Nick

Back