Sumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

and a euro-reef is an insump! they come either external (COST MORE NO NEED FOR THAT) or they come in sump which is what i have! again look for my post later i will post a pic later of mine. mine sits in my sump!

anyway talk to you later!

Nick

Like Nick said the euroreef es 5-3 is a in sump skimmer, and a very very good one at that, uses very little electricity and produces lots of funk. The little 'aqualifer pump' thingie is not expensive, maybe 20 bux or so, what it does is it removes air that collects at the top of the siphon tube that runs from the internal part of the overflow to the external part. Without this piece air can collect in there and eventually break the siphon, which will result in your tank overflowing all the water from the sump till it runs the pump dry, which will cause a major flood, and burn up your sump pump. I would try for a 20g long with some glass baffles installed. We will have to figure out if you will actually be able to squeeze that in there or not ( I am not 100% sure ) The glass baffles are a piece of cake so don't worry about that.

They can be used for that, but thier primary purpose in a reef tank is to trap bubbles, and keep them from getting returned to the display.

Well... If I take out the canister for the sump and not have any filtration media in sump, how will everything live? The tank needs a filter for beneficial nitrifying bacteria for it to live. My science teach had one of those penguin bio filters and a cpr bak pack, and one of the fish got sucked into the bio wheel cuz he didnt have a strainer, so he got mad and threw it away, and the next day his fish died, because the tank wasnt supplemented with the nitrifying bacter. Maybe I can just put the canister to the side of the tank, its not that big, its a filstar XP3. Also, wouldnt the filter media somewhat help get rid of the skimmers micro bubbles? Just a thought.

You are getting it now. I have a 20 long glass sump on my 75, I glued my own baffels. It is very easy, you can do it. the live rock usually provides all the benifical bacteria you need.
If you want I will post a close up of my sump design, It is ok there are some things I will do differntly, well that happens everytime I do a tank.
I have a prizam pro skimmer, I got it before I had a sump, and it is not at all the best skimmer for sump applications, It works but not as well as I would like, I am getting the aqua-c skimmmer in sump. I will try to draw a picture fo what I am doing next and what I have now so you can decide what you like. We really do want to help you have the best tank ever. I believe the more people in this hobby succesful, the more ideas and corals we have to swap and learn about, the better we will all be. Oh and on a side, note, everybody is stressing over the holidays. LOL Merry Christmas to you and yours. Steve
ps the little pump that keeps them from breaking siphon (aqualifterpump) is 9.99$ cheap insurance. Go with the cpr 102 it has 2x 1" bulkheads and flows 1200gph my pump supposedly flows 1500 gph at 0 head and works perfect with my overflow.

K, what I plan on doing is get the ro/di first and foremost, get the 20g long, get the mag 12 pump, get the cpr CS102 overflow box, save money for a nice euro reef in sump (skimmate busters!!!) and build a compartment for it, make some baffle chambers, get a hole drilled for a nice UV sterilizer filter, and get all the pvc pipe, so I can get all the plumbing for it, add alittle bit of fliter media and Im set! Maybe put some chaeto from my aquafuge and have it grow in the sump! Then I would take my canister and have it set next to the stand, which will work a dream! Than I will start saving some money for 2 DE metal halide pendants and run my 2 actinic 110watt VHOs with the pendants! WOW, This is gonna be a killer system!

That sounds just perfect. I have the hang on 15wt gamma uv on mine. It works ok I know there are better ones. I put a turbo twist in for a guy and I really like it. Have a nice day. Steve

that skimmer will never fit into you sump area!

try a cs6-1! NOT a cs8-1! i have a cs8-2! the cs8-1 is way over kill for your setup!

i will post it all later!

Nickl

Back