sur-prize, sur-prize, sur-prize!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

I've been peeking under the rock pile in my 30 gallon cube, to check out the baby RBTA (he's been hiding there this evening). I squat down and peek one more time and this time I see a flash of color and movement. What is that?? :shock: It's orange...ohmygod, it's my special-needs clownfish!! He's found the anemone and is going to town! Wiggle, wiggle, rub, rub, rub...like he was trying to wiggle right inside that BTA. To say I'm surprised is an understatement. I haven't seen this fish show interest in anything, in....well, since I got him. :shock: :cool:

Hope he doesn't irritate the new RBTA...

Yes, my special-needs clown will add a whole new dimension onto the BTA-clownfish dynamic. I am 99% certain that he's blind because of his eating and swimming patterns...he usually swims in straight lines along the bottom or corner of the tank and keeps going until he runs into something.

He appars to have slept inside the BTA last night, under all the rocks. I hope they both come out of there before too long. :rolleyes:

My observation (I know I'm an expert after 1 day's observation) is there's much more to this clownfish-anemone relationship than the clownfish feeling safe in the BTA. The rubbing and wiggling on the tentacles looked like he was getting high off the chemicals in the BTA, or something along those lines.....

Just my newbie .02

Yes, my special-needs clown will add a whole new dimension onto the BTA-clownfish dynamic. I am 99% certain that he's blind because of his eating and swimming patterns...he usually swims in straight lines along the bottom or corner of the tank and keeps going until he runs into something.

He appars to have slept inside the BTA last night, under all the rocks. I hope they both come out of there before too long. :rolleyes:

My observation (I know I'm an expert after 1 day's observation) is there's much more to this clownfish-anemone relationship than the clownfish feeling safe in the BTA. The rubbing and wiggling on the tentacles looked like he was getting high off the chemicals in the BTA, or something along those lines.....

Just my newbie .02

Don't worry -the anemone will come out and open up to the light when she feels safe & comfortable. It may move around until it finds a good anchor spot where the base feels safe and can retract at night. Give it a little while bit and I promise you'll get to see even more.

The anemone/clown relationship is just one of the coolest relationships ever in a reef tank. I know the risks of having one in a SPS tank, yet to me, it's worth it.

I've had my moma RBTA and maroon going on 4-5 yrs now and I still think it's one of the coolest things in a reef.

Wait till your guy becomes territorial over the anemone and attempts to move big boulder size rocks away from it's host- now that's a hoot!

Back