Tempered glass?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pip Tazo

I am planning to replace the HOB overflow box on a couple of tanks and drill holes to install an internal overflow box.

Can someone tell me whether these tanks are made of tempered glass? if so, which panels?

75 gallon from Denny's Pet World. (48"x18"x21") - I think is it either Aqueon or Seaclear.
55 gallon of unknown origins. (48"x13"x21")

Sorry for any lack of information in advance. I don't have a lot to go by.

That is awesome... haha Thanks, Stacey! Any ideas how I can do it with water still in the tank? haha Phone in Ziploc bag?

I bet you could get it low enough during a water change for an iphone...
Or, you could take a flyer and just try it with the same tank at Petco.. the thing is, from how I understand it, if they run out of non tempered, they will use tempered in its place to fill the gap.. so its best to check the actual tank...

typically speaking from my experience the sides are rarely tempered, but the bottom of mass produced tanks are almost always tempered.
at the center with tanks of unknown origin we drill the back panels to be safe and have never had one shatter. we have lost a couple of small tanks from attempting bottom drills.
*Poulsbo Marine Science Center bares no liability in the drilling, success or lack there of, of your tank.
sometimes i get nervous posting under the centers name, lol.
cheers,
jon

ooh that's good to know. I was debating on whether to drill the bottom or the side. maybe I will stick with the side panels.

what are the pro/cons of having a back panel vs bottom panel drilled for over flow boxes?

looks mostly. the overflow will come out the back of the tank then head down vs. coming out the bottom. it will end up with pipe showing in the rear rather than it all be hidden under the stand. functionally there is little difference.
jon

I have a 75 and 55 Marineland tanks. Both of these have tempered bottoms but all sides are not tempered. However each manufacture does things their own way. If you are in doubt you can contact the manufacture to be 100% sure. Better safe then sorry on this one.

I had a 55 gal that had tempered on the long side. I know bottoms are tempered, but didn't think the side would be, but it was. I tried drilling it. But now it is in the city glass recycle.

Great video, BTY

Here is an update. the tanks I wanted to drill were not tempered. I was very nervous and very scared! but I took it slow and here is the result.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405315071658.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405315071658.jpg
    61.2 KB
  • uploadfromtaptalk1405315091786.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405315091786.jpg
    55.1 KB
  • uploadfromtaptalk1405315103095.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405315103095.jpg
    64.6 KB
It is safe to say that the experience was too scary. I hope I don't have to drill any more holes any time soon.

Back