The Class Act Aquarium Stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yes, I think we just might see the 40 page mark before this beast is done. Dang, I still cannot believe it is taking soooo long. Guess I have been to much of a perfectionist. Oh and what goes on the workbench next? I am actually thinking of a workshop overhaul. Been looking at buying a few new tools, Powermatic bandsaw and a Saw Stop cabinet saw, well worth the $$$ if I save a finger and the build is very, very nice on their cabinet saws for a 110V/230V. :lol:

Cheers,

Your hood is above and beyond the quality and craftsmanship of 99 % of the DIY builds on the internet. Very well done!!! No doubt in my mind that the doors will feel right at home in this awesomebuild. Will they be worthy of 3 or 4 pages??? LOL
It is always a good investment to add quality tools to the shop. Laguna Tools produce one of the best bandsaws on the market. Either way you go make sure you are able to resaw a min of 12'', After years of working wood I wish I had 16'' capacity.
You cant go wrong with the SawStop.
Just another thought, how about some insulation so you can work year around??? LOL

THx Lorrie and Dave for the kind words.

Dave (Peppie): The bandsaw I am looking at will resaw up to 12". The bandsaw is about as big as I can get in the single car workshop for now. With the new tools the space will be tight but very doable if I lay everything out right. *lol*

Oh almost forgot, I actually have my workshop insulated and without heating this morning it is 44 degress in the shop and 26 outside. :lol: Oh and I am also wired for tele, cable and network. Future plan, I might pull a new 220V circuit, otherwise I will be installing another subpanel.

Cheers,
Alex

THx Lorrie and Dave for the kind words.

Dave (Peppie): The bandsaw I am looking at will resaw up to 12". The bandsaw is about as big as I can get in the single car workshop for now. With the new tools the space will be tight but very doable if I lay everything out right. *lol*

Oh almost forgot, I actually have my workshop insulated and without heating this morning it is 44 degress in the shop and 26 outside. :lol: Oh and I am also wired for tele, cable and network. Future plan, I might pull a new 220V circuit, otherwise I will be installing another subpanel. I agree with the saw stop after taking a personal looksy. They are nice for the $$$, along with the fact I can run it on 110V for now is the big +.

Cheers,
Alex

No water yet Lorrie. Kind of hit a stand still because of the reef funds drying up some after the holiday spending and getting an awesome new job with a big jet company. Just received more funding for this project so we should be getting some more equipment this month. Gotta hate it when a project goes way over budget, :lol: Opps, I forgot I didn't write a budget sheet for this tank. Just don't tell the wife. :D

Anyways, I am hoping to be able to get the return pump, the sump baffles and plumbing situated by the end of the month. Then of course I need to find the wood for the doors. Still debating on some of the equipment for the tank. This is what I still need to pick up,

*Return pump: Ehiem 1260 (possibly 1262) return will be running carbon and GFO reactors too. This will keep pumps to a minimum in the sump and help with heat too.
*Lighting: 2 Lumatek ballasts (multi wattage giving the option of running either 175w MH or 250w MH)
*Circulation: 2 Tunze Nanostream 6055, 2 Hydor Koralia (possibly for behind the rockwork)
*LED Lighting systems for moonlighting, supplemental lighting and refugium lighting
*Digital Aquatics RK Elite (or Maybe if someone convices me otherwise the Neptune Apex)

After I have those items I should be able to get the tank up and running for the cycling part. Plan on cycling the tank for at least a month before transferring corals and fish. It seems that I am so close but yet so far away. :lol: So little to left to buy, but so much work to still do.

Future plans for the tank once it is up and running are calcium reactor set up, ATO and possible chiller depending on summer heat. These are things I should be able to add to the system with it in full operation.

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited:
Lol @ Alex the multi millionaire saying funding was low:p. Looking forward to seeing some water!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll keep your secret about the budget. Congrats on the new job. Sounds like its a good one.
Well your getting close to putting water in that. You will probably beat me.

No water yet Lorrie. Kind of hit a stand still because of the reef funds drying up some after the holiday spending and getting an awesome new job with a big jet company. Just received more funding for this project so we should be getting some more equipment this month. Gotta hate it when a project goes way over budget, :lol: Opps, I forgot I didn't write a budget sheet for this tank. Just don't tell the wife. :D

Anyways, I am hoping to be able to get the return pump, the sump baffles and plumbing situated by the end of the month. Then of course I need to find the wood for the doors. Still debating on some of the equipment for the tank. This is what I still need to pick up,

*Return pump: Ehiem 1260 (possibly 1262) return will be running carbon and GFO reactors too. This will keep pumps to a minimum in the sump and help with heat too.
*Lighting: 2 Lumatek ballasts (multi wattage giving the option of running either 175w MH or 250w MH)
*Circulation: 2 Tunze Nanostream 6055, 2 Hydor Koralia (possibly for behind the rockwork)
*LED Lighting systems for moonlighting, supplemental lighting and refugium lighting
*Digital Aquatics RK Elite (or Maybe if someone convices me otherwise the Neptune Apex)

After I have those items I should be able to get the tank up and running for the cycling part. Plan on cycling the tank for at least a month before transferring corals and fish. It seems that I am so close but yet so far away. :lol: So little to left to buy, but so much work to still do.

Future plans for the tank once it is up and running are calcium reactor set up, ATO and possible chiller depending on summer heat. These are things I should be able to add to the system with it in full operation.

Cheers,
Alex

The wait and labor will be well worth it. It is nice to take the time to do it the way you want it. As I have said before " You dont know how you want your tank to run until you have ran one"
By the looks of your list it seems we are in for another 15-20 pages!!! LOL

Congrats on the new job!

Lol @ Alex the multi millionaire saying funding was low:p. Looking forward to seeing some water!! :)

:lol: Yeah, I did forget to mention my skimmer upgrade path. Hint... Hint... Oh yes, and the ballasts have been ordered.

BKMini160.jpg

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited:
Ok. I just joined this forum because of this thread. This is an amazing build. So professional and the attention to detail is impeccable. This is an inspiration. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing this beautiful monster continue to take shape.

P.S. - Give your "helpers" a pat on the head.:)

I think it has been way, way, way, way, way, too long since an update has been posted on this very, very, very, very, Loooooooooooooooooong build thread.

Thank you for all th kind words and I shall be attempting to post updates as time permits. *lol* I am now working at the Big Bee in Everett on the 787 line and haven't had the time until recently to do some much needed work on this beast. :sorry:

Cheers,
Alex

Thank you for all th kind words and I shall be attempting to post updates as time permits. *lol* I am now working at the Big Bee in Everett on the 787 line and haven't had the time until recently to do some much needed work on this beast. :sorry:

Cheers,
Alex

What do you do for a living? 787, like the plane?

Sent from my phone via my job's wifi, most likely.

What do you do for a living? 787, like the plane?

Sent from my phone via my job's wifi, most likely.

Yes I work on the 787 A/P as an aircraft test technician. :D Before that I worked as an auto tech for Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler.

Cheers,
Alex

Back