The Class Act Aquarium Stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That small mitered piece was right on with the first try. I WOWed myself with that. :lol:

Cheers,
Alex

Shop Shots for Thursday October 27th :music:

1st Photo: Shows the canopy moulding finally going on. :D
2nd Photo: Shows what happens when a mechanically inclined person forgot to get the clamp extenders when he bought the clamps. Figured it works for a short term fix and for this project, but I do really need some extenders soon. :lol:

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

1st Photo: Shows the front of the canopy open with the moulding installed on the left side.
2nd Photo: Up close detail of when the two pieces of mouldings come together when the canopy is in the closed position.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

:whistle: Ummmm, I hate to point it out but.......... Theres a 1/64th inch of a gap on that one piece of moulding. I think you should replace it with a new piece.

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!

Looks good man, real pretty and looks professionally built.

THx for the kind words. And Duane... I think I may need your expertise to fix that 1/64 gap. :lol:

Shop Shots for Friday October 28th.

I must say if you ever feel the need for a good lesson in miter cutting moulding just do a build such as this one. I never knew how difficult it would be to get such tiny pieces cut with a dual 45° edge. But of course I devised a clever way of cutting those tiny pieces with the miter saw without flying across the shop and keeping my fingers well out of the way.

1st Photo: Shows tiny... TINY!!! piece of trim moulding that goes into the corner of one of the columns. Did I mention TINY. :lol:
2nd Photo: Shows that tiny piece glued up in place. Yes, I did notice the slight imperfection there, but I figure I can fix that later.
3rd Photo: Finally a better idea of the vision that I had in the beginning is finally coming to reality.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

Very nice Alex!! I'm really looking forward to seeing it all together. Tank, stand and canopy! :)

Tentatively I plan on posting a photo this evening of that very thing. :lol: Of course canopy will be unfinished and no water yet, but it will give a better idea how HUGE this thing is. I think I under estimated how BIG the canopy would be after the trim work and stuff. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

THx again for the kind words. I am still amazed that I have been able to build such a nice piece without to many flaws. :lol:

At long last the Canopy, Stand and Tank come together!!! for an inital first look anyways. :lol: Oh and I think I must have messed up on my measurements, as the canopy when open does not hit the ceiling.

Spousal Units first comment... "That thing is huge! I am rethinking this reef tank now." :p I of course told her, Sorry to late now.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Top notch work there. Glad to see that you fixed that huge gap. ;)

BTW, you are your own worst critic. Ive seen the stand in person a time or two now and haven't seen ANYTHING wrong with it at all.

Very nice indeed Alex, but 28 pages and still not wet :confused: On the other hand I plan to have my tank wet by page 24 :D

Chhers, Todd

Very nice build on the stand and canopy.
Just wondering though about your tank placement. In one of the pics it looks like your tank is between a fireplace and a heating vent?
Might have an issue with keeping the tank cool.

Top notch work there. Glad to see that you fixed that huge gap. ;)

BTW, you are your own worst critic. Ive seen the stand in person a time or two now and haven't seen ANYTHING wrong with it at all.

THx Duane. Yes I know I can sometimes be my worst enemy when it comes to my own workmanship. :lol:

p.s. That gap was where the canopy opens. :lol: But I did fix it some, guess I just couldn't leave it alone. :heh:

It is coming along nicely.

Beautiful work!

THx Dave.

Very nice indeed Alex, but 28 pages and still not wet :confused: On the other hand I plan to have my tank wet by page 24 :D

Chhers, Todd

THx Todd. I guess you can say that time has been on my side thus far and I am taking full advantage of it. :lol: Of course I do plan on having this thing finished and wet before page 30. :lie:

Very nice build on the stand and canopy.
Just wondering though about your tank placement. In one of the pics it looks like your tank is between a fireplace and a heating vent?
Might have an issue with keeping the tank cool.

THx Ghofmann. You're correct in the HVAC vent and fireplace. Fortunately we do not use either one. Vent is always closed and the fireplace is never used in that room. Of course I will be testing both out to actually help with heating to some degree during the winter months.

I did try and convince the Spousal Unit that we could do an inwall tank which would be viewable between the formal living room and hall way, but that didn't fly. She did say we might be able to reconsider that when we retire. :lol:

Cheers,
Alex

Shop Shots for Friday October 28th.

I must say if you ever feel the need for a good lesson in miter cutting moulding just do a build such as this one. I never knew how difficult it would be to get such tiny pieces cut with a dual 45° edge. But of course I devised a clever way of cutting those tiny pieces with the miter saw without flying across the shop and keeping my fingers well out of the way.

1st Photo: Shows tiny... TINY!!! piece of trim moulding that goes into the corner of one of the columns. Did I mention TINY. :lol:
2nd Photo: Shows that tiny piece glued up in place. Yes, I did notice the slight imperfection there, but I figure I can fix that later.
3rd Photo: Finally a better idea of the vision that I had in the beginning is finally coming to reality.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

This is exactly why I use a miter jig and a sharp Japan. Pull saw. No tear out , No looking for that small piece that just shot across shop and laying on the floor, "somewhere"
Your canopy design is awesome!! I like how the trim comes together when closed. The height is a bit on the tall side for me, but I understand it must hold the lights you have.
To bad you cant show off your fan covers somehow. Instead of having to lift the lid.

Back