The Sherman Tank (Photo Scrapbook)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Scooterman said:
Awesome as usual, how do you ever keep your tank so clean? :D

http://www.aquariumguys.com/kentproscraper6.html with the metal blade: http://www.aquariumguys.com/kentproscraper5.html

I clean all glass surfaces about once per month, or so. Coralline's cool, but it detracts from seeing the corals.

Everyone else: Yeah, that clam is something special. I feel pretty lucky. What's even better is that the tank it came from will probably be back up, in time. The friend got past the emotional blow of a flood/crash, and realized the mistakes that led to it. He's talking about a super simple setup, as this one was so full of stuff, he couldn't even clean the glass any more. He says he wants a small pile of rocks in the middle, and a single anemone, with a small assortment of a couple other corals... and that's it. While we all tease Krish about his tank, I actually recommended this friend take a look at a super easy (and clean) setup. I think that's the kind of thing he's after.

And if wants the clam back, it's his. :)

Sherman...I was just curious how much extra additives (or whatever you use to supplement calcium etc in your tank) you had to bump up since adding the clam or have you not noticed much difference and kept everything the same??

I'm running a calcium reactor and a kalk reactor handles 100% of the top off. How ironic is it that I just sent you a PM that stated how I haven't added a single thing to the tank since I added the calcium reactor.

I haven't noticed a difference with the clam, but it's only been 2 days. Calcium uptake was already so stinkin' high, as it was. I'm keeping an eye on it, though!

Gaby... gross. Just gross. Go to your room! :D

I'm running a calcium reactor and a kalk reactor handles 100% of the top off. How ironic is it that I just sent you a PM that stated how I haven't added a single thing to the tank since I added the calcium reactor.

I haven't noticed a difference with the clam, but it's only been 2 days. Calcium uptake was already so stinkin' high, as it was. I'm keeping an eye on it, though!

ohh so Krish gets all the updates and we don't ... sheeesh and i thought we were friends :D :p.
I still don't get where you're hiding the calcium reactor and the kalk one :p .

Gaby... gross. Just gross. Go to your room!

LMBO!! :lol: hey i was just making sure dood.

Thanks for the info! Right now, my doseages of the 2 part B-Ionic is so minimal seeing I don't have anything in there to soak it up! I guess once I start popping things in there, I may eventually have to go the calcium reactor route, but we'll see. Only so much I can fit into my little cube:)

i hope you're not adding breast milk in there

ROFL! I can see Gabby now, on a ladder leaning over the tank...Never mind:shock:

Last edited:
Hey Sherman, I have that scraper but now I can't use it on my acrylic:( down falls of not having glass dood! You find it necessary to keep both reactors to keep your ca up?

Scooterman, they make a plastic blade, but I don't know if it's for acrylic. Now you get to experience one reason I'll never have an acrylic tank. To make matters worse, more often than not, I actually use an actual utility razer blade to clean coralline more often than the Kent scraper! It works so much faster.

I definitely don't need both reactors. I could nuke the tank with the calcium reactor alone. I use the kalk reactor for pH control and because kalk precipitates phosphates.

I use a digital pH probe in the tank, and another in the calcium reactor drip cup. The drip cup is used specifically for the purpose of being able to monitor the pH of the calcium reactor effluent. The reactor drips into the cup, leaving it about 2-3" deep, so I can set the pH probe into it, then the cup overflows into the tank at the skimmer input. I drip into the skimmer input so that the skimmer's aeration will help drive off some of the CO2 that's accumulated in the water while passing through the calcium reactor.

I just noticed this thread for the first time; I'm an idiot with cameras so i stay out of the photography forums. All I have to say is... holy #@$! Very nice pictures.

I whipped up another of those animations, so I could see growth. I also started shooting in RAW mode, so the white balance is a little funky on the most recent shot. I'm still learning that one.

Here's March, May (2 months) and August (3 months later) of 2006.

growth_animation.gif

Back