The Sherman Tank (Photo Scrapbook)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gaby, thanks. And I think that coral measures about 10" from end to end.

Darryl, which trick? The animation, or the excessive growth? Just take the photos from the same spot every time and throw all the final images into something like "GIF Animator" (that's what I used) and it should be pretty self explanatory.

Sherman,

Outstanding shots!!! I have read this thread back and forth but maybe i missed it. What lighting setup are you using during these shots. Maybe in the span of 1 to 2 years?

Hmm... still not getting reply notification, interesting. Sorry for the late response, all.

First, the animation. The software is called "Easy GIF Animator," found here: http://www.blumentals.net/download/

Katchupoy, the lighting only changed once. I used to run 384w PC (4x96w) that was mostly 10000K and Act03. For the last 2 years, I've run 2x150w Metal Halide 14000K Phoenix without any Actinic supplementation. I'd like to run Actinic, but I don't really have a good way to fit them over such a small tank with the two PFO mini-pendants already up there. Just this week, I ordered new bulbs, Hamilton 14K, which run a little less blue than the Phoenix bulbs.

Very nice tank!

It looks like our tanks are a lot alike. Mine is a sps dominated 36gal with zoa, some lps, and other softies. But again, very nice tank!

Sherman i never knew this thread of your s exisisted and i can begin to tell you how blown away i am by your photography. Not only your photography but your tank is just amazing. The growth of your corals was simply amazing and the animations were unbelievable!!

Keep up the excellent work!!

Sherman i never knew this thread of your s exisisted and i can begin to tell you how blown away i am by your photography. Not only your photography but your tank is just amazing. The growth of your corals was simply amazing and the animations were unbelievable!!

Keep up the excellent work!!

when are you gonna give us updates Nickelodeon :D??? you said... tonight and that was the last of it :p:lol:

Sherman,

Its been months now since you have changed your lighting from phoenix to hamilton 14k. What are your comments? Did the corals improved? the same? or deteriorate? Do you prefer using it?

Oh, wow.. yeah. I pulled the Hamiltons out after a month. While the Hamilton 14K is my favorite in the 250w variety, they were TERRIBLE in the 150w. There were no similarities between the two bulbs, as far as color. In my setup, compared to the Phoenix, the Hamilton 14K was MUCH dimmer (like 60% as bright), and much more purple. My wife would make the comment "What's wrong with the tank?" A friend was by and asked "Why aren't all your lights on?" Another friend asked "Are you running just your actinics?" And I don't have actinics. Most of the corals browned out pretty bad, and some are only now beginning to return to color.

So... shorter answer: I'd strongly recommend against 150w Hamilton 14K DE bulbs, though I'd offer them as a first choice in the 250w variety.

Woah! I only read the last response, and didn't realize the rest of you had also replied. Sorry about that.

Shallowreef: Thanks so much for the compliments.

Gaby: I've been putting a lot of time into getting the new tank set up, this tank has just been sitting there, with little attention. There's not really anything new, except that I removed the large blue coral from the front center a while ago because it was getting too large. Since then, I've had 4 more corals reach the glass, two of them being Monti Caps that have encrusted onto the front glass, even. It's well beyond time for a tank upgrade. And that's getting close.

blind1993: I'll be the first to admit, there's a lot of luck involved with catching fish with a camera. Obviously, having nice equipment helps, and I would never had this sort of luck with film, because of the way I'm doing it. Basically, I just follow the fish around, looking through the camera, and pressing the shutter release almost as fast as it will go. Typically, I'll rip out 100 photos and maybe find just one in there worth keeping. Fish are tricky, for sure.

well ur loss is our gain srry that it didnt work out for u.
Yep, that's what forums are all about. Maybe someday someone else will find this thread when looking for that information. I ended up just putting the old Phoenix bulbs back in, so it could have been worse.

Anyone want to buy some 1 month old 150w DE Hamilton 14000K bulbs, cheap? :D LOL

Ok you mentioned that the 250 hamiltons is really good. Do you have 250's before? or you have another tank that has 250's right now.

Im asking because.... if you have experience with reeflux 10k or even 12k... and how do they compare with hamiltons

Back