Thoughts on 125 gal high flow sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TheKraken

Hi Team!

The build of my new tank is in the final stretch and while I have gathered most the parts, I just did not have the time to put them together.

In this scene, the motivation is:

The display is 8'x2'x30" with an external coast to coast. The two drains are at least 1.5" ID. In addition there are points for a Herbie style siphon. The return pump is and external 2300gph (at 1'?). Lets talk about the sump.

I would like to use a 125 gal used acrylic aquarium for the sump 6'X18"x(23"?). I have 5 baffles rough cut with 3x 8" tall and 2X 18" tall (or so).

On my current sumps I love:
Baffles for constant water level.
Herbie overflow with siphon (80+%) and durso for noise.
Sponge before the return to limit large chunks in the final section. I had macros clog a pump twice.)
Flexibility to more stuff around. (middle section has accommodated a refugium, frag tank, skimmer, live sand... recently).

On the new sump I would like:
Well defined sections that are accessible for maintenance. (the tank had two access holes, brace in the center)
A larger section before the return pump (top/off and poweroff containment) with an adjustable ATO float (current sump is drilled).
The collective wisdom of this board, (I should have...)

attachment.php

I am attaching an image to start the conversation. I like to run water levels fairly high to increase volume but the skimmer needs a lower level. How do I stop splashing?

Attachments

• Stickfigure1.jpg
    Stickfigure1.jpg
    42.4 KB
Hey Paul, the layout looks good with the exception of the Skimmer should be in a constant level section of sump... or are you going to use a gravity fed Skimmer ???

Cheers, Todd

I am showing my lack of imagination with the sump as built:

attachment.php

I doing a herbie so a 1" spa flex with a industrial bulkhead till feed the left chamber. The divider might help keep the macros on one side so I have flexibility. I am thinking a glass top so I can mount some CF lights.

The separator is in the middle to help with splashing (and support as the brace is cracked and repaired) and I am thinking of of routing my 1.5" spaflex drains from dual Durso in the coast-to-coast overflow. I am thinking about adding mounts for filter socks if needed. The double baffels on the right are built to set the water level fo rthe skimmer and hold a sponge sideways (the black rectangle). I have the skimmer roughed in as I am still unsure on the design. I am thiking a recirculating or airstone with the other herbie supplying the water. The ATO will be mounted on an arm on the far right. I am not sure if float or switch yet.

I have a great deal of work to drill and set the inlets and outlet, polish, and mount in the stand. I am hoping for some "I wish I would have" comments as now is the time before full of water and shoved into a stand.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    46.6 KB
Back