Todd's 125g Build (Part 3 = DIY East-to-West Linear LED Lighting)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dude I want a setup like that. I am going to start a thread where everyone can donate their unused LED's to me. Tank really looks good. How is everything reacting, are the corals opening?

It has been a whole week now running my LED's and really liking it alot, corals seem to be adapting well and starting to color up after so long under old (20 months) VHO lamps. A little update on modding the heatsink a bit, frame getting warmer than I expected though not hot so decided to add some cooling fins on outside circuit aluminum channels. I had some extra aluminum angle along with extra thermal adhesive and then simply glued and clamped in place.
DSCF0318.jpg

DSCF0323.jpg

Working very well so will add more for better thermal management.

Cheers, Todd

If you were to put 2 clamp on fans for active cooling it will help out a lot, until you add your hood and the fans system. Even then I would look at possibly adding 120m fans for your hood

Hey Todd, If you go for the Fans that Floyd mentioned, check out this place in Kirkland. Easy to find and local place for a cheaper price too. :lol: Those fans look like they'd be just as quite as the ones that I showed you when I came over last time. Looks like they would move about 30CFM less air flow though, but that shouldn't be an issue with LEDs. I think I remember looking at those for my build, but decided against them due to air flow and mounting options. Hope this helps.

CoolPC, Inc DBA Coolerguys.com
11630 Slater Ave
Suite 6
Kirkland, WA 98034

Local: 425-821-6400
Toll free: 877-247-5095
Arctic Cooling F12 Pro TC Temperature Controlled 120mm Fan.

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited:
Any updates. Is the hood finished?

I typically dont speak for others.... BUT. I was a Todds yesterday drooling over his new build. It seems that his better half has a SMALL list of items that just might take priority over the hood. LOL

Todd the tank is outstanding. It is a very good example of the saying " Good things come to those who wait"

Sorry have not started on the canopy build yet, like Dave noted I have a few more important tasks to complete first... lol

I did find some time today to snap a few pics of the corals that are adjusting well to the LED's though

My Bird of Paradise Seriatopora that was really browned out under old VHO lamps now starting to color back up.
DSC_0535.jpg

A mixed colony of Zoanthids directly under one of the red LED's
DSC_0537.jpg

Sour Apple Birdsnest coming back
DSC_0548.jpg

Green Candycane liking the new lighting
DSC_0538.jpg

Meteor Shower Cyphastrea and Montipora Spongodes coloring up well
DSC_0531.jpg

Received a nice little order from Coral Props yesterday so will post up some new shots once they're acclimated

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
I know, resurrecting an old thread. Curious if the canopy is complete. Would also like to get an idea of what type and how many LED's and dimmers/controllers used for your setup. Wife has asked me to look into doing LED instead of T5s if the price is right.

Thanks, btw, tank looks really cool!

Thanks, and have forgot to update this thread in a while so here is a few pics I took last week

left side
Leftside10-21-12_zps8db87f02.jpg

mid tank
mid10-21-12_zpsc5e75491.jpg

right side
Rightside10-21-12_zpsf56274b0.jpg

end view
Endview10-21-12_zps4733241d.jpg

Still need to finish canopy, Honey-Do's about done but Salmon Fishing now taking priority.

Cheers, Todd

Todd, as always beautiful pictures, and a bright and vibrant tank. Love the growth in alot of those corals and will need you to break some off and send them to me for starter seeds. Love it.

Thanks Floyd and I'd be willing to give it a shot, never shipped any corals as yet but sure I could figure a way to get some of them safely to you my friend. Maybe pack in a little Smoked Salmon as well, have about 60lbs to smoke next couple of days :hungry:

Cheers, Todd

Thanks Floyd and I'd be willing to give it a shot, never shipped any corals as yet but sure I could figure a way to get some of them safely to you my friend. Maybe pack in a little Smoked Salmon as well, have about 60lbs to smoke next couple of days :hungry:

Cheers, Todd

last time i saw your tank,,look at now sure it is growing and growing looks great Todd,,,
BTW i still have bunch of shipping heater pack ,i dont used it any more you can have for shipping your coral,,smoke salmon WOW!! again:Cry:

Cheers, Todd

Todd,
You are more than welcome to practice shipping some of your smoked fish down my way.

420 IWANT E.
Bonney Lake, 98397

I will PM you with the results on how it arrived.
Just thought this might help out before you step up to the BIG out of State mailing.

Whoa, back off the salmon everyone, I get first dibs. Peppie, I heard that Bonney Lake Postal service has denied any and all mail coming in from Everett, so sorry to say he is going to have to ship to me first. I will call the postal service to release the hold once I have positive control of the smoked salmon. Wait he has 60 lbs of it, more then enough to go around. Todd, you better get to licking them stamps.

Back