Todd's 125g Build (Part 3 = DIY East-to-West Linear LED Lighting)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Being that most of his LEDs arerated for 1000mA's and he is only running them at 700mA's this will drastically reduce the amount of heat generated and increase the longevity of the LED's. Plus the frame itself is a pretty functional heatsink. Additionally he plans to increase his thermal management by adding fans into the hood.

Looks Great Todd!!

Wish I had the apex right now. Not for a while though. Quick Question. How do you like the "Rapid's" Potentiometers? I bought a pair from radio shack and am not real impressed at the dimming. Do you feel like there is much of a noticable dimmer capability at all?

i have potentiometer i got from radio-shack and have had good luck for the most part, will not dim completely to zero it shuts off at a certain point (to bright for moonlighting).

How do you like the "Rapid's" Potentiometers? I bought a pair from radio shack and am not real impressed at the dimming.

FWIW, For all my electronic needs I usually order from Mouser. Better overall experience with them. Radio Shack is not at all like they use to be back in the 80's and even early 90's. :lol: Back then they were actually a good diy electronics store.

Cheers,
Alex

The reason the lights shutoff at a certain pont is because the driver has to have a certain reference voltage. If the potentiometer is not internally correct through the variable resistor it may actually create an open circuit, making the driver believe that it is open and shutting it off. I would remove that pot and read it out with it disconnected.

If the potentiometer is not internally correct through the variable resistor it may actually create an open circuit, making the driver believe that it is open and shutting it off.

say what? you speaking a different language bud :D:D
or should I call you Doc as in Back to the Future Doc.

hahahahah

OK Todd. Thursday has come and gone for the most part. Did you get them over the tank? Huh? Did ya? Did ya? PICS, PICS, PICS!!! :boink:

The reason the lights shutoff at a certain pont is because the driver has to have a certain reference voltage. If the potentiometer is not internally correct through the variable resistor it may actually create an open circuit, making the driver believe that it is open and shutting it off. I would remove that pot and read it out with it disconnected.

Shouldn't you be able to read the voltage across the potentiometer through the entire range of the said potentiometer? In theory you should be able to see the voltage go up or down depending on which direction you move the potentiometer dial.

Oh and I'd be curious as to what the Ω rating is on the potentiometer that most people are using. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

Shouldn't you be able to read the voltage across the potentiometer through the entire range of the said potentiometer? In theory you should be able to see the voltage go up or down depending on which direction you move the potentiometer dial.

Oh and I'd be curious as to what the Ω rating is on the potentiometer that most people are using. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex
I think what Floyd is saying is that when you dial the pot back to a point, say, less than 10% or 1VDC then the driver doesnt recognized the wattage and then shuts off. The enercell that REEFLED recommends dials back to 1.5VDC or 15% (1.5-9VDC at 300ma) and the driver will work at that wattage. My pot doesnt seem to dial back much less than 40%. Im using a (3-12VDC at 1a.) to tune my drivers and dim the lights temporarily. Even at 3VDC or 30% the LED's will blind you to look at them.

FWIW Alex, the pots are 10K at 1/2watt. I just ordered two from Rapid LED last night.

I think what Floyd is saying is that when you dial the pot back to a point, say, less than 10% or 1VDC then the driver doesnt recognized the wattage and then shuts off. The enercell that REEFLED recommends dials back to 1.5VDC or 15% (1.5-9VDC at 300ma) and the driver will work at that wattage. My pot doesnt seem to dial back much less than 40%. Im using a (3-12VDC at 1a.) to tune my drivers and dim the lights temporarily. Even at 3VDC or 30% the LED's will blind you to look at them.

FWIW Alex, the pots are 10K at 1/2watt. I just ordered two from Rapid LED last night.

THx Duane, That's what I thought but wanted to clarify. And I assumed that they were 10K pots, but you know what they say when someone assumes things. *lol* If you are ever in need of electrical diy stuff let me know as I have a bunch of stuff in bins here.

Cheers,
Alex

Now that I am more awake, the light bulb finally turned on. :lol: You see most of the pots that I've dealt with are used as a turn on device (so to say) like the dimmer switch in your automobile that dims or brightens or even turns off the dash lights. You see those pots are ones that go from 0v-12v and some newer LED ones go from 0v-5v.

But now I see that with the Reef LED set ups we want to go from the lowest voltage to the highest voltage for any said driver that we are using. :doh: So what we would need to do is know what the minimum turn on voltage is for said driver.

So ya see that my light bulb wasn't fully lit last night and my caffine warning light was on too. But this morning the light bulb is nice and bright and caffine warning light is off.

Cheers,
Alex

Now that I am more awake, the light bulb finally turned on. :lol: You see most of the pot that I've dealt with is used as a turn on
Outta Sight and solid brother, you are the most!
Im hep when you lay it on me, but can you dig it that this is a primo act and a righteous assembly requiring a sano job without too much scratch. Keep on keeping on and stick it to the man!

OK Todd. Thursday has come and gone for the most part. Did you get them over the tank? Huh? Did ya? Did ya? PICS, PICS, PICS!!! :boink:

Thanks Becca but my sweet wife ASKED me to take a day off of FISH STUFF and get caught up on some house chores so being the smartass man that I am thats what I did for the most part (only snuck in a hour or two to hardwire/solder on quick-connects to the LED leads and drivers) Also introduced the Powder Blue And Kole Tangs, seem to be getting along well with the Blochii and lil Naso and only rough reception coming from the Kleinii B-fly lil butthead

quick-connect leads for driver to lights slavaged from old 12v lighting setup
DSCF0198.jpg

hardwire power in to drivers
DSCF0202.jpg

DSCF0204.jpg

so back to it, need to attach quick connects to dimmer/dimming unit then mount drivers and install fixture to fire this Bad Boy up yet today.

to be continued....today ?

Cheers, Todd

Way to go dynomo. A SMART man always does as his wife asks, and a really smart man does it with a smile

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Sweet, looks like you'll be firing them off this weekend. I know all to well about the house frau duties, my wife does the same to me all the time. :lol:

Cheers,
Alex

Dont you just hate it when responsibility gets in the way of the things you want to or need to get done.

Back