very frustrated with my new 2 true percs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

im going to do the divider...but i don't think im skilled enough yet to do a hyposalinity treatment...just dips or copper so do you think those two would be best?

get the cupramine and do not use any other meds, do a water change to get vthe other med out of there and remove the substrate. and please be patient and allow at least 6 weeks with no fish in the display. follow the cupramine directions to a tee do not overdose

you don't need to be skilled to do hypo, you just need to have a test for salinity, and gradually replace some SW with RO/DI water until you've lowered the proper amount. We can talk you through it.

Copper is a little rough. I almost killed my sick clown with copper.

you don't need to be skilled to do hypo, you just need to have a test for salinity, and gradually replace some SW with RO/DI water until you've lowered the proper amount. We can talk you through it.

Copper is a little rough. I almost killed my sick clown with copper.

jan is right hypo is way safer for the fish

i'm just going to do the hypo treatment and allow my anemone in the main tank to grow to house my two clowns!!! i was so depressed taking them out the first night cause my clown was laying on it

I'll start on it bright and early tomorrow!!! someone please go through steps..it's much better than reading something from someone else without being able to ask any questions

I wouldn't wait until the morning. Do you have any RO/DI water in the house? Replace 1 gallon of your SW with 1 gallon of RO/DI. Split up the replacement water into 2 pours separated by 30 minutes or so so the temperature doesn't take as much of a hit.

You want to get your salinity down to 1.020 by the end of the day tomorrow. NOT all at once. Do 1 gallon tonight, measure your salinity. Do another gallon tomorrow morning, and remeasure. Then do a third gallon tomorrow afternoon. That kind of thing. (I am the desperate-person's substitute for an Elmo18 or other experienced person by the way....I have done this before but only once. It did save a dying fish's life that way, though. Elmo18 talked me through it.)

Last edited:
Well I have a tablet dissolving in there right now so I was just gonna wait till it finished...and I only use tap with prime

Where do you live? Do you have access to purchasing RO/DI water? I used to buy mine at two different grocery stores (Fred Meyer and Top Foods). It's better but what you're doing is better than nothing.

its .50$ a gallon I live in Greenville, SC the water quality is pretty good. The LFS around here who is really into corals uses it. I've used it without a problem so far...cept for the ick :mad:

If you succeed with your water changing tomorrow, then the next day (Wednesday), go through the same process to gradually reduce salinity to 1.017. On thursday get it down to 1.014 by the end of the day.

My regular tank is like 79 and my QT is like 75 degrees is that ok?

I would raise up your QT a little to 77 or 78.

Do your 1 gallon water change tonight without the damsel. When can you get your divider in place?

I'm sure I can put something in tomorrow morning...something always lying around to fit the size. I think the heater's broken that's why it wont work i think

Back