Vortech Pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You can use the vortech with most of the soft start wavemakers. I used mine with a red sea, and it worked perfect.

RGibson said:
Add 2 tunze 6100 with a multicontroller 7095 you can no do this with a vortec it has no multicontroller and will not have one any time soon.

I say get 2 votechs, no heat, no electrical possibility, and easily adjustable flow.

-Josh-:cool:

I once made an over the top Cl with about 1,00gph, it worked fine & didn't stick out the back but a mer few inches.
Can't say anything about the vortechs but I did see the TUnze wave box in action, it seemed to work well

thanks

how do you run the pump if it's new i believe that it's need to break in but want to know if you try it on high flow and the size of your tank . and i saw the Red Sea Wavemaster Pro Wavemaker is this what you have and if it's can control on 2 pump . i thinking maybe to put my seio pump at the bottom of the tank (back glass) and more 2 strong in one side of the tank (i can't put at the other side) but i don't know if i will use the controller because i want strong flow i am not sure about that but i think for wave maker the tunze wave box are good and i want mainly to flow all the detritus up to the over flow box.

jetaero said:
You can use the vortech with most of the soft start wavemakers. I used mine with a red sea, and it worked perfect.

I say get 2 votechs, no heat, no electrical possibility, and easily adjustable flow.

Last edited:
mavgi said:
thanks

how do you run the pump if it's new i believe that it's need to break in but want to know if you try it on high flow and the size of your tank . and i saw the Red Sea Wavemaster Pro Wavemaker is this what you have and if it's can control on 2 pump . i thinking maybe to put my seio pump at the bottom of the tank (back glass) and more 2 strong in one side of the tank (i can't put at the other side) but i don't know if i will use the controller because i want strong flow i am not sure about that but i think for wave maker the tunze wave box are good and i want mainly to flow all the detritus up to the over flow box.

You can break in the pump, just by running it for 1-2 days. The red sea wavemaker can actually control 4 pumps, so you could attach two more powerheads if you wanted. The vortech will give you an awesome all over flow. When used with a wavemaker, I was getting a tidal effect in my tank when it would come on/off.

pfish said:
How do you control direction?
I personally believe there's no need to control direction on this pump, set it in the middles side of the tank, and will will spread the flow out completely over the tank.

HTH

Hi Josh. Can you hold on to the external housing with your hand for a minute or two? Afteri it has been running awhile, of course.

Best,
Ilham

Elmo18 said:
Hi Josh. Can you hold on to the external housing with your hand for a minute or two? Afteri it has been running awhile, of course.

Best,
Ilham

Easily. :)

Josh,

I've got a quick question for ya; I was reading the manual about the bearing needing to be broken in and all and I got the impression that the bearing would have to be replaced as part of routine maintenance.:confused:

So, first is my impression correct, and then what have you experienced with the bearing after the break-in period?

I think the bearing needs to be replaced every few years? it's not quite an annual thing I do believe...

My bearing is broken in, yes. It worked fine before that though, just a little bit noisier for the first day or so, while the bearing seated.

jetaero said:
I think the bearing needs to be replaced every few years? it's not quite an annual thing I do believe...

My bearing is broken in, yes. It worked fine before that though, just a little bit noisier for the first day or so, while the bearing seated.

Hi josh

i want to know what speed you run the pump and the cycle ?

yesterday i let the pump run full speed for 2 hour and i check the pump the body was hot (i know it's hot from what i read before on other post) but when i check the speed controller i found out it was very hot . (little scary)
i am very interesting to know how you run the pump and if you check the speed controller i am going to hang it on the air if it will burn it's can be realy danger.

when I had my vortech on high speed the pump body ran about 135 degrees and the controller ran about 115. i would not consider either of those temperatures dangerous. my pfo hqi ballast ran about 135 - 140 degrees.

mattseattle said:
when I had my vortech on high speed the pump body ran about 135 degrees and the controller ran about 115. i would not consider either of those temperatures dangerous. my pfo hqi ballast ran about 135 - 140 degrees.

what speed you run the pump all the time?

by the way did you get the geo calc reactor if yes i want to know how you dial it (if i am not wrong you sell the shuran )

thanks

michael

I ran it at full speed. Even the pump body of my Sequence Dart pump runs pretty warm so I don't see what all the roar is about the Vortech running hot. It's a small pump that runs at high RPM.

I'm still on a waiting list for the Geo....it's been a while now. :)

I'm still on a waiting list for the Geo....it's been a while now. :)[/QUOTE]

it's great reactor please when you get it post here after you dial it how much bpm and ml you have adjust it for good result i am interesting to know we have the same size of tank maybe it will be good for my tank to ( i am use the caribe sea a.r.m media) and now i am play with it hope i will get result till end of the week:)

mattseattle said:
yeah, I am going to use the large schuran type media in the GEO reactor.

i read a lot about the schuran media but jeremy (premium aquatic) suggest to go with the arm media with this reactor. i will see in the future what is your result and maybe i will chang it to.

Weird that Jeremy suggest ARM media when George @ Geo recommends to use the schuran media with the reactor. I don't see any benefits of running ARM media but only negatives actually.

Here is the text off his web site:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Holds 12 pounds of media, we recommend large grain schuran type[/FONT]

mattseattle said:
Weird that Jeremy suggest ARM media when George @ Geo recommends to use the schuran media with the reactor. I don't see any benefits of running ARM media but only negatives actually.

Here is the text off his web site:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Holds 12 pounds of media, we recommend large grain schuran type[/FONT]

yea i see it now i realy don't put attantion on that at the begin :confused:

from your experience with the scuran media what was the set point in your ph controller ?

well when i had the schuran reactor i ran it about 6.8 / 6.9 but you can go down to 6.2 or so if you need really high alk but i ran it really high. i never had any issue with pH in my main tank either and this was on a 55 gallon tank. so far on my 120 i have not had a reactor.

mavgi-

The driver will actually run considerably cooler if you mount it securely to some heat conducting surface, metal works best although even the inside of a stand will work well enough. With just a little bit of material to wick away the extra heat, you will find it runs considerably cooler. Suspending it in air will only insulate the driver from heat and make it run hotter.

-Tim

Back