Vortech Pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hehehe - not yet..... we are going to do some stuff to the house yet and i don't want to set it up then have to take it down and move it. so it'll be this spring before i set it up. everything is ready to go on it - the closed loop and the return system is plumbed. it just needs water and lights moved to the new canopy.

Jaetero, You're killin me man!! You've been beta testing one of these and I've been avidly following the thread over on RC about 'em???
What are you're thoughts regarding these?

From what I understand, these have been beta testing for approx a month or two now....
Do you feel they are comparable to a Tunze Stream? Have you used a Tunze Stream? Will you be purchasing more of these later when they are released for sale to the general public?

Thoughts, impressions, commments??????? I'd like to hear your side of things, (If you're able to...I can understand if there is a no-talking-about-it-until-we-say-you-can kind of contract you had to sign.).
Its getting kinda old watching people slam and carry on about the possible price on these over on the RC thread. I'd really like to hear some honest and straight forward feedback and non biased info regarding these if you would share with us.

Nick

I know - so many of those people are whiney and act like they are entitled to full disclosure of information regarding pricing and such. blah! then they threaten the company by saying if they don't release the price soon they are just going to buy a tunze. whatever....

maxx said:
Jaetero, You're killin me man!! You've been beta testing one of these and I've been avidly following the thread over on RC about 'em???
What are you're thoughts regarding these?

From what I understand, these have been beta testing for approx a month or two now....
Do you feel they are comparable to a Tunze Stream? Have you used a Tunze Stream? Will you be purchasing more of these later when they are released for sale to the general public?

Yes, these whip the pants off of a Tunze Stream. The flow is just as spread out and powerful. The size is not large and bulky like the tunze. As well, a tunze can usually raise the temperature of your aquarium up to two degrees, while this should not make an impact at all. I do plan on buying another when they are released, but truly one can handle a very large area.

maxx said:
Thoughts, impressions, commments??????? I'd like to hear your side of things, (If you're able to...I can understand if there is a no-talking-about-it-until-we-say-you-can kind of contract you had to sign.).
Its getting kinda old watching people slam and carry on about the possible price on these over on the RC thread. I'd really like to hear some honest and straight forward feedback and non biased info regarding these if you would share with us.

Nick

I've used this in my sps tank so far, and the corals love it. I've heard that gorgonians love it as well. I haven't had a single problem with this pump yet. The flow is great, it's quiet, there's no heat added to my tank, the design is small enough, and it just gets the job done excellently. The flow is pretty easy to regulate as well, since there is no need for a screwdriver, to adjust it you just twist the knob.

-Josh-:cool:

Josh, thanks for that info.

Matt, Ive you've kept up with that thread on RC, you know my viewpoint.

IMO, the only advantages of the Tunze products are:

Controllable/variable by controller flow rates

Proven reliability and customer service

If Eco-tech can provide both of these, (well , alright...IceCap does the Customer Service, but still), in one product, and be similar in price to the Streams...they've got a hit on their hands.

Nick

am gonna need a BIG magnet

I have looked into this as well Charlie with My All-Glass 150 the glass is 3/4". I haven't been able to find out about magnet sizes yet..Jeff

Just keep trying;)

charlie said:
I'll try this again, how thick of glass is the magnet good for? I have 3/4 glass on my 300 and am gonna need a BIG magnet.

If I read the 35+ page novel over on RC right the magnet on the pump is good for up to 3/4"

maxx said:
Josh, thanks for that info.

Matt, Ive you've kept up with that thread on RC, you know my viewpoint.

IMO, the only advantages of the Tunze products are:

Controllable/variable by controller flow rates

Proven reliability and customer service

If Eco-tech can provide both of these, (well , alright...IceCap does the Customer Service, but still), in one product, and be similar in price to the Streams...they've got a hit on their hands.

Nick

One disadvantage of the Vortech is that your flow has to be perpendicular to the glass as opposed to a Tunze which can be set at an angle.

Tom

Charlie,
IIRC, they require 5/8ths or 3/4 inch glass between the magnets in order to operate properly. Eco-Tech will provide spacers with Vortech in order to make them capable of operating on smaller tanks.

Tom,
The Vortech pumps push water in a 110 degree arc, so placement on the sides of the tank isnt as critical...however, Eco-Tech has already stated a "socket" type flow director is in the works, which should alleviate that concern.

Nick

Hey Guys, good to see so many responses to this thread!

To answer some of the questions, yes the pump will work on tanks up to 3/4" thick. We hope to have a magnet kit that we can provide for customers with 1" or thicker tanks, but we're going to have to see what the demand is for tanks beyond 3/4"

So far none of our beta testers have suggested that a directable nozzle will be needed, however we do have several designs for one and should the general consensus be that one is desired, its a simple move to start producing it.

I probably won't be able to reply to this thread very much since we're so busy right now, but it's great to see such a strong response on this forum.

-Tim

maxx said:
Charlie,
IIRC, they require 5/8ths or 3/4 inch glass between the magnets in order to operate properly. Eco-Tech will provide spacers with Vortech in order to make them capable of operating on smaller tanks.

Tom,
The Vortech pumps push water in a 110 degree arc, so placement on the sides of the tank isnt as critical...however, Eco-Tech has already stated a "socket" type flow director is in the works, which should alleviate that concern.

Nick

That's true. The design I am working on has a Tunze in the corner at a 45 from the side and the back. I am also not sure about the aesthetics of having the motor sticking out on the ends of the tank, although keeping electricity and heat out of the tank is certainly a plus.

But one of the main issues (as you mentioned) is the unknown reliability. I'd expect these to ship late and have some (if minor) problems. I also expect them to be a lot closer to the price of a Tunze 6100 as opposed to $250. Have you heard anything on the availability of the controller? It would definitely be desired on a large tank.

Tom

Tim,
Thanks for posting in here and clarifying information about your product.

I'm looking forward to seeing these for sale in the near future.

Nick

tomz said:
But one of the main issues (as you mentioned) is the unknown reliability. I'd expect these to ship late and have some (if minor) problems. I also expect them to be a lot closer to the price of a Tunze 6100 as opposed to $250. Have you heard anything on the availability of the controller? It would definitely be desired on a large tank.

Tom

Tom,

Let me know where you purchased your crystal ball, I could really use one for the stock market.

DD

dapperdan said:
Tom,

Let me know where you purchased your crystal ball, I could really use one for the stock market.

DD

I've worked in the in the new product industry for long enough to know that going from prototype to production never goes as smoothly as you'd like. I also read a post on RC where I believe a spokesmen for the product said it would be comparatively priced to the Tunze. It's hard to believe that it could be less as it's a more complex design. Unless you believe Tunze are way overpriced. The $250 is just a price someone made up and others would like to believe. If it is that low and they're reliable then they'll have a great product. Sometimes experience substitutes for a crystal ball:D

Tom

Tom

Back