Vortech Pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

From 1st page of Icecap pump????

Originally posted by ASH

Correction regarding the backup battery setup. The VorTech driver box is what detects a power outage and switches to battery backup mode. What the battery does do however, is automatically charge itself when the power goes back on.

Andy

Hmmm.....Now I dont really know for sure...while looking through the RC thread, I found this post which I hadnt seen before on page 4.....

Originally posted by ASH

Re all the price questions, our goal is not to come out with the least expensive high end pump. We will have the best value and upgrades, like adding the back-up battery, will only involve buying the battery addition. All the basic pump gear is already made to accept the plug and play back-up battery.

Andy

So it appears to me that the battery backup might not be included in the price of the pump. I dont know...

Nick

Sounds like if you want all the goodies you are gonna have to dig DEEP into your pockets...

Nick thanks for the follow up questions about the smaller fish I just am a worry wort them gobies swim hi and all over my tanks as for clown gobies dont they just hunker down in some sps? Thanks again Nick....Jeff

Some of the gobies do, but it doesnt seem like thats going to be much of an issue.

Nick

From Tim @ ETM as posted on EcoTech Marine VorTech MP40 Release Information

Originally posted by EcoTech Marine
No advanced wave controllability is designed into the VorTech out of the box; only manual speed control.

The battery backup is an accessory to the VorTech pump. It will be sold in an enclosure with a charging circuit as a separate entity from the pump itself. The pump is capable of working with the battery backup out of the box.

-Tim

The battery will be available within the first few months of availability of the VorTech. There's a running competition to see whether IC or ETM get's their product on the shelves first ;)

No idea of expected MSRP for the battery yet.

-Tim

I guess that question is answered.

Nick

With the extras it will be well out of my league:( such a shame it looks like a good product

Some good news:

You can mount the VorTech to the bottom of the aquarium pointing up, provided that the total clamping distance does not exceed the 3/4" gap for which it is spec'd.

I don't recall if it was mentioned in the announcment or not, however you may operate the VorTech on any of the wave-controllers currently on the market... One thing to keep in mind: When using the battery backup and a standard wave-timer device, the VorTech will simply switch to battery mode when the wavemaker turns it off.

Justin

Originally posted by maxxII
Do the Vortech's require a "soft start" wave maker, or not?

Nick

"soft start" as you say, is built in.

So this is a bonus.....Streams require their own proprietary controller, these dont. This is nice to know.

Nick

VegasMike said:
They must be hoping for a slew of "gatta have its" because that is mighty hefty compared to Tunze which has to figure the exchange rate into the picture adn should be more expensive because of that.

To compare apples to apples.

One Vortech pump $345.00 MSRP (will most likely sell for between $300 & $325) no accessories needed.

One Tunze 6100 $333.00, + magnet holder for $52.00 + holding bracket $11.00 = $396.00

Who cares about the exchange rate thats not our problem it's Tunze's.

The Vortech looks like a much better deal.

DD

"much better deal" is saying a lot. I consider them equivical products.....slightly different prices to do similar things by slightly different means, which is setup in the tank in slightly different ways. Even if the Vortech pumps were $100 cheaper than what you post for a complete tunze system, you can't neglect the fact that it is almost completely unproven and its "accessories" are just a promise at this point.

blah blah blah - it's only money and it's a fun new toy. (and the blah blah blah was not directed at anyone but only a blanket statement)

mattseattle said:
blah blah blah - it's only money and it's a fun new toy. (and the blah blah blah was not directed at anyone but only a blanket statement)

Uh oh! A reefer with Christmas syndrome :) lookout pocket book! lol

the 24hr backup makes it GOLD!!!
that singularly will be enough to take out tunze.

i think people who lost tanks due to power outages will particularly be won over, although, if you own tunze powerheads and controllers, chances are you have a generator:)

skimerwhisperer said:
the 24hr backup makes it GOLD!!!
that singularly will be enough to take out tunze.

i think people who lost tanks due to power outages will particularly be won over, although, if you own tunze powerheads and controllers, chances are you have a generator:)

Its just going to give someone a reason to come up with a battery for the tunze. I noticed the laptop power supply right off the bat. A NIMH and a relay is all you need for a battery back-up.

Don

Dapper Dan - I don't use any of the add-ons you listed so they are pretty much equal as far as costs for my application and exchange rate does matter in the context for which it was intended and that is profit margin between the two companies. Who knows really, doesn't matter as long as they can do EVERYTHING they say they can do (or are going to do). I just can't see the justification for replacing something that already works in it's entirety with something that doesn't necessarily have all of the pieces to the puzzle yet.

If my Tunzes ever give out, I'll reconsider then and see how the feedback and accessories are proving out. Until then, they are just another neat idea with grandiose plans. I wish them the best of luck though as it looks like a pretty cool little gadget.

Mike

As far as the battery back-up is considered, do we even have any details on it including price? You can get a UPS that will perform the same function and just plug the Tunze into that if you want. Kind of hard to make any comparison's right now since this is all based on promises with no history.

Back