Vortech Pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

first time i run the pump about 4 hour on 75% and the pump stop i got error green and red llight on i shut of the pump and disconnect it . my house freeze 2 ac working 24/7 and the pump cut of . i know that eco tech have great service but is this pump can't run for long time....
it's not my main pump and i am not so wary but if it's a main pump and it's stop there is no circulation in the tank:shock:

who runs a wave box and are they good enough to be the only pump in the tank besides closed loops?

I'd be afraid that it would weaken the seals on my tank and cause a side to blow out. Plus wahts the point in having the wireless remote that can stretch that far. For what you pay to have that kind of distance i would rather substitute it for a lower price. JMO

Josh,
I know your friendly w/ the Eco Tech guys, but I understand Brad's viewpoint completely. I dont think the Vortech is a bad piece of gear at all. But it is buggy at the moment. There are many reports of people having the same issues that Mavgi is talking about, and IMO for $345.00 each, I dont want a single problem.

Its a revolutionary idea, and one that will ultimately be refined and work flawlessly, but until then, I'm not going to spend the money on a product that isnt dead on reliable. It's malfunctions may not cause any losses in the aquarium, but this hobby has plenty of frustrations all on its own w/o having to pay for more.

I just spent $761 for a pair of Tunze 6000 Streams, and a multicontroller 7095, (basically, a TS21 kit). It doesnt move as much water as the Vortech, but its damn near bullet proof, (havent anything going wrong on these...complaints about the price and appearance, but not of the products performance), and it came with a controller....for roughly $80 more.

If the Vortechs were more reliable at this point, I would have bought them.

Nick

The problem magvi described almost a year ago has been rectified in all new and future pumps for quite some time now.

I just spoke to the person that bought my Vortech. They bought it about 3 or 4 months ago. EcoTech has sent 2 upgrades one being a new drive shaft and one a chip for the controller. They said it has solved all the issues and the pump is working perfectly. It's nice to see a company that sends out updates automatically and is on top of things. From what I've read all issues have been solved like bishop stated.

That is the trouble with new technology. It is great to see something new and a company responsive, but even so, the product has only been on the market for a limited time. Until it has been around for a while, it cannot be called reliable or rectified. They simply need more followup.

They should for the price of those things. I couldn't image buying one only to have the manufacture tell me to buzz off if I had a problem. At some $ amount you just have to expect more.

The problem magvi described almost a year ago has been rectified in all new and future pumps for quite some time now.
I just spoke to the person that bought my Vortech. They bought it about 3 or 4 months ago. EcoTech has sent 2 upgrades one being a new drive shaft and one a chip for the controller. They said it has solved all the issues and the pump is working perfectly. It's nice to see a company that sends out updates automatically and is on top of things. From what I've read all issues have been solved like bishop stated.

Well then they have some new issues going on then....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=766117&perpage=25&pagenumber=25

As I said, there isnt a doubt in my mind that this product will be great.....once they de-bug it.

Fact of the matter is, they're having some minor issues. I dont think the price of these is outrageous, but I'm not paying that price for something that will have minor issues.

Nick

Josh,
I know your friendly w/ the Eco Tech guys, but I understand Brad's viewpoint completely. I dont think the Vortech is a bad piece of gear at all. But it is buggy at the moment. There are many reports of people having the same issues that Mavgi is talking about, and IMO for $345.00 each, I dont want a single problem.

Its a revolutionary idea, and one that will ultimately be refined and work flawlessly, but until then, I'm not going to spend the money on a product that isnt dead on reliable. It's malfunctions may not cause any losses in the aquarium, but this hobby has plenty of frustrations all on its own w/o having to pay for more.

I just spent $761 for a pair of Tunze 6000 Streams, and a multicontroller 7095, (basically, a TS21 kit). It doesnt move as much water as the Vortech, but its damn near bullet proof, (havent anything going wrong on these...complaints about the price and appearance, but not of the products performance), and it came with a controller....for roughly $80 more.

If the Vortechs were more reliable at this point, I would have bought them.

Nick
Nick,
For a little more money, you can have the flow of 6100s. You can upgrade with Tunze 6000s for about 75 dollars each to make them 6100s.

After looking at their thread in RC I am quite impressed by the response of EchoTech to the problems they've been facing. I agree with Nick, once they get the bugs worked out of these I think they will be great, with an impressive company backing them.

Eco-Tech has fantastic customer service, unfortunately, I couldnt wait for them to be perfected, so I went with the Streams.

Thanks for the heads up on that Ed.

Nick

What really turned me off was not the price, I think it more than fair. It was turning out a untested product and asking people to preorder such a product. I think if they would have waited a year and properly beta tested them, they would never have gotten such a bad rap. I can tell you if there were not all the threads talking about the problems I'd have a pair in my tank. Its going to take a few years of success to change my mind.

Don

Back