What Corals Can i get?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SmileyFace1995

Well im wondering what corals i can get with 150watt MH & 2x39Watt T5's
My Tank dimensions are 36"x19"x15" = 55gallon.
36=lenght
19=height (MAYBE 20" Within 18"-20" for sure sorry cant do with 12" ruler :()
15=width
I mainly am wondering if i can get a RBTA and Digitata Montipora with this fixture! thankyou :)

Heres a pic of Fixture & Tank
1011091456.jpg

Last edited:
Your tank is actually a 44 gallon, according to the dimensions you give. WAY too small for the Hippo Tang you have in there.
IMO, not quite enough light for any anemone or clams. You will be fine with Montipora digitata, but keep it in the upper half of the tank.

its really a 44gallon? i bought it as a 55g >.<

Ahh now the video is working. Gave me an error earlier. That skimmer is a POS, unfortunately...lol. It's a SeaClown...uummm, I mean Sea Clone.

YIKES!!!!
shud it fill up in days even if you only have 1 mushroom in it? in a 75g?
and uhm,, it works now,, bad quality i have another video of it on my 75g

Regardless if it's working now or not, it's a piece of junk. Really sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The amount of corals or lack of, won't make the skimmer work or not work. You have a fish in that tank, that's more suitable for a 200 gallon tank. With that fish, your skimmer cup should be filling up a couple times per day...lol.

In a normally stocked 75, that skimmer should still fill up every day or two.

Regardless if it's working now or not, it's a piece of junk. Really sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The amount of corals or lack of, won't make the skimmer work or not work. You have a fish in that tank, that's more suitable for a 200 gallon tank. With that fish, your skimmer cup should be filling up a couple times per day...lol.

In a normally stocked 75, that skimmer should still fill up every day or two.

o_O really :( man thats a bummer! well does anyone have a protein skimmer i can buy from em?
i dont got alotta money sadly :(

Excellent advice from returnofsid. Even if your tank is a 55 gallon, three feet long by 15" wide isn't much swimming length for a hippo tang. Also as stated a skimmer cup should fill in less than two weeks even with small feedings. I have a 40 gallon with only three fish in it and the cup fills in about a week and my skimmer has a BIG cup.

I wouldn't recommend any of the skimmers on that Craigslist link. Even the one that says it's rated for up to 220 gallons. It's junk. Typically, you can take a "rating" that a manufacturer puts on any particular skimmer, and cut it in half or even a quarter. Then you'll have a more realistic rating.

Take a look at bubble magus skimmers I believe they make a HOB that is about $80 brand new and gets better reviews than any of the skimmers that are listed on that craigslist add. I belive that it has to go inside the tank though.

An even better option would be to set up an overflow on your tank and use a sump underneath. There are so many better in sump skimmers and plus you get a lot of equipment out of the tank.

I wouldn't recommend any of the skimmers on that Craigslist link. Even the one that says it's rated for up to 220 gallons. It's junk. Typically, you can take a "rating" that a manufacturer puts on any particular skimmer, and cut it in half or even a quarter. Then you'll have a more realistic rating.
Except SWC and ATI and I'm digging the new .. uuumm whats the new of those darn things... ummmm deltec I think! Don't quote me on that name

Except SWC and ATI and I'm digging the new .. uuumm whats the new of those darn things... ummmm deltec I think! Don't quote me on that name

UHM okay, i just bought an overflow, and sump about 3days ago, uhm lets see idk what overflows rated for and need return pump... >.>
n might need help setting it up

Back