Where has all the particpation gone???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

On the other forum I play on we have a face book group as well as the regular forums. It seems to compliment each other pretty well :D

Does Reef Frontiers have such a page? If so why have I not been invited
pout.gif
. Its because I'm an Oregonian isn't it :eek:hwell: I kid of course :)

On the other forum I play on we have a face book group as well as the regular forums. It seems to compliment each other pretty well :D

Does Reef Frontiers have such a page? If so why have I not been invited
pout.gif
. Its because I'm an Oregonian isn't it :eek:hwell: I kid of course :)

The Spokane forum has a FB page also, we may get more accomplished there sometimes than on the forum ;)

And Dang, the old reefer never went away, they were just tired of being called out of date.

And Derbird, Montana disowned Oregon when you sent us all that ash...........................lol.

The Spokane forum has a FB page also, we may get more accomplished there sometimes than on the forum ;)

And Dang, the old reefer never went away, they were just tired of being called out of date.

And Derbird, Montana disowned Oregon when you sent us all that ash...........................lol.

LOL, we just thought you would like a little piece of the us in your own back yard :D Don't tell but we actually sent a chunk of Washington, but that's a secret :whistle:

LOL, we just thought you would like a little piece of the us in your own back yard :D Don't tell but we actually sent a chunk of Washington, but that's a secret :whistle:

It would have been nice if you would have sent an actual piece............................lol. The 2-3 days of dust was a little much.

And as far as the 44 posts about basically nuthin, that is what we do best, talk about nuthin, maybe we need more threads like this instead of 4000+ threads about why I have hair algae..............................oops. :eek:

Lol no one member can make or break a forum like this one, it took Mike and Chuck lots of work and resources to build this site. I don't have those resources and even so there is only so much out there we can do, with all of the other forums out is much harder to try and make a come back, also we would need some capitol to invest and make a legit run at it. I do think with the software running and advertising will eventually increase the traffic and we will do our best to support a knowledge base forum. As long as we get enough traffic to support our sponsors well be here, I'm committed to that. This time of year is always slow, it will pick up better this spring and probably drop some mid summer like always people get busy.

Scoot, thanks for bring this to our attention.

I was beginning to think it was really all my fault LOL

mfinn, since august you haven't posted a question... so, why aren't you asking?
i.

Perhaps I just haven't run into a problem I needed to ask publicly.
I have other resources I rely on besides RF. That happens when you have been in the hobby for a while.
I do what I can to help people out, but I'm sorry if I'm not up to your standards of what you think I need to be.

I actually started up wit just watching a cpl utube videos. No fw or sw exp.
Moved on to a forum mainly with members from the south. I found this place and psas a lil bit later.

I agree I may visit the site daily or so but need to type and contribute mo :/
D

Not to break anyone's balls, but.....

Taking away the original format sales forum (I know it's now back), no longer allowing group buys to be organized unless the seller is a RF sponsor, banning vested and long time members, heavy handed mods, certain members that tend to be condescending to forum members who are outside of their "click" and threads that are derailed by comments completely unrelated to the threads purpose can all be attributed to some of it.

If you feel that the things listed above are untrue, you are probably inside that click.

These are not only my opinions, but comments also made by long time members who I have spoken with in person. Opinions which I agree with.

Success for this forum, would be to get back to the 2007-ish time. This could be accomplished but it would take work and open minds.

Perhaps I just haven't run into a problem I needed to ask publicly.
I have other resources I rely on besides RF. That happens when you have been in the hobby for a while.
I do what I can to help people out, but I'm sorry if I'm not up to your standards of what you think I need to be.

Tone is missing, and I feel like my comment didn't read the way it was intended. I apologize.
I have a 'problem solving' mentality and it pervades everything I do. (I'm in software, and its what I spend my professional life doing also) so the lack of posts in general here just became another problem to solve....
My intent was just to ask if there was a reason why you hadn't posted questions, not to question your posting habits. Again, I apologize.

My guess would be that membership here has doubled, maybe even tripled since 2007. And I agree to a point with the above statement, but to do that, you would have to return to the feeling of almost being like family. I used to drive the 600 miles to come over for the summer BBQ, because it was like everybody knew everybody. With the influx of people the "family" feeling has gone away, and those of us who have been in the hobby for 15+ years maybe did drift away from here because of that. Mfinn is correct because the longer you are in this hobby, the more contacts you make and getting on here and asking a question is not needed as much as it was when you were newer to the hobby, you just pick up the phone and either call or text that certain contact you have that you know is going to come up with a concrete answer or solution to your problem. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will tell me so :)........................LOL.

CarlaW, that is so true. I know the more experienced members are still here and reading. What we dont have are the new hobbyists that have all the questions and need a little...or a lot of help.
They are all on facebook groups trying to help each other.

I will say that if I turned off email notifications (which I probably would if the site were really busy) that I doubt I would be as active as I am. That also means that I am much more active in threads I've participated in. The phone shows the email, I click to read the full reply, and it turns more into a 'texting' mentality than a forum one. Had I been around when it were really busy, its likely I would have turned those off, meaning I would have to 'try' to be active.
Also, the majority of my 'locals' use this site. I tend to be shy and awkward in public at least until I know people a bit, but that doesn't translate to the forums. I don't tend to do club meetings for that reason. There is at least a small part of my activity here that is to try to get to know some folks so that I feel more comfortable with the idea of attending those meetings. Its impersonal on the internet, but it helps develop a comfort level (personally) for me.. Maybe once I do 'know' some of my locals a bit, forum activity goes away too.
And there is also the part where sometimes its much easier to admit you have no idea what you are doing 'anonymously'. I spend most of my time in that category (of not knowing what I'm doing) I suppose once I 'know' you folks, that benefit goes away too..
So, I will say that its 100% selfish on my part to want more activity, but I think more folks 'like me' might benefit from the selfishness..

I am not ashamed to admit that I have turned off email notifications before, but this forum went thru kind of a transformation era and it almost got to be useless to keep listening and/or reading the same stuff over and over again and again. Maybe it is my tolerance for BS has gone away, or I am just oblivious to it anymore. This was built on the premise that it is FUN to have this hobby, and in earlier years, no one cared if their thread was taken away to lands of nowhere, it always came back to the subject at hand and everybody was good with it. Hell.................. even the moderators back then helped take threads to places they had never been before.

As for being shy...................... the best thing for you to do is go to one of the meetings, tell them you are shy and I will almost bet you will find 10 other people who are exactly the same as you are. I have seen it happen in my own club, in Spokane's club, and to an extent the PSAS, when it was a little smaller. You aren't alone in being shy and some of us have no problem with that. You will also find alot of club members to be totally approachable and really helpful. JMHO

This was built on the premise that it is FUN to have this hobby, and in earlier years, no one cared if their thread was taken away to lands of nowhere, it always came back to the subject at hand and everybody was good with it. Hell.................. even the moderators back then helped take threads to places they had never been before.
Some of the best threads are so far off the rails that they never get back.. but when people feel free to post, it makes us all 'human'
As for being shy...................... the best thing for you to do is go to one of the meetings, tell them you are shy
This CarlaW is an understanding of the dictionary definition of shy, without the understanding of what shy actually is :)
You are right though....

Ok, Stacey, I can buy that.....................LOL. The more you get familiar with some of the "locals" there, the more at ease you will feel, at least I think so, but you never know. There have been some people who exist only online, and ya know, that is cool too, as long as you can accomplish what you want to in this hobby, it is all good. :).

Some of the people that have been here as long as I have could tell you horror stories about threads they started and then ended up lost in space. Now if that happens someone gets Po'd and then the name calling starts, and the whole thing gets flushed down the porcelain God. I miss the old times....................... but I also understand that things will never be like they were, it just won't happen like it did again. :)

I love this site! It's really one of the only places I have found where Coldwater reefing is truly embraced. I do think there is a feeling of family here as I do attend the local meetings. It's a great way to see new set ups and I really enjoy talking with fellow reefers. I usually just peruse the members tanks area though:) see y'all soon!

Back