which heaters to buy??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, I'm in the process of buying heaters for all of my aquariums. I've decided to replace them all. I've got 2 reef tanks, 29 gal and 46 bowfront with CPR HOB fuge (holds about 5 gal). 2 freshwater tanks, 55 gal and a 37 acrylic plant and fish tank. I've also got a 10 gal SW pod tank that is also used for QT but it has a good heater in it at the moment.
What brand heaters would you recommend? I do plan on putting the heater for the 46 in the aquafuge. I don't really need seperate thermostats but definately need fully submersible units. Please offer suggestions on what you feel is a good quality brand. I'm leaning towards Jager heaters from Big Als and I'm also leaning towards 3 at 100 watts and 1 at 150 watts. In case it helps, the 2 SW tanks and the 37 acrylic all have PC lighting. The 55 has regular flourescent lighting on it. We usually keep the house between 65 and 70 degrees. Right now, even with it being a bit chilly during the nights here in Spokane, none of my existing heaters are even plugged in and the tanks are maintaining between 76 and 78 degrees.
Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give!!

I second the jagers they are all I have ever used and work well . damn you aint kidding about being chilly

I like Jagers, but I also like Rena Cal Top Light excel's--They have been very accurate for me, easily set with single degree clicks, and I like any heater with a light on it that informs me that it is INDEED operating...the Stealth heaters are crap, by the way, IMO.

I must use a crap brand but i would suggest a marineland heater. I have used their heaters on all of my tanks and only once did i have a problem with one.

Get a Rancho controller & use whatever heater you can get, the controller will work better than trying to use the junk all these heaters have for temp. control. Done deal, & well worth the price, BTW I went through about a dozen or so heaters they all crap out in time, jaggers including!

WOW missed that, the ranco controller unit will use temperature probes to measure water temp. & accurately turn on & off heaters or whatever until the desired Temp. is reached. They are way more reliable than your cheapy heaters but you have so many tanks, I'd stick with the small Jaggers & if you have $$ in your larger reef tanks then spend the $70 for one & add a Jagger to it for extra protection. We had a sponsor that had the controllers on sale recently, try doing a search!

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9640&highlight=temperature+controller

Sorry I spelt it wrong, Ranco

Back