Why the new rules??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am a newbie without many posts, but i am a responsible user of RF and generally prefer to communicate via PM, since I may ask or respond in a way that does not sound intelligent. RF is an excellent place to get used or even new items and starter frags at a better price, and deal with people you believe to be responsible reefers. This is why I initially joined. However, I agree 100% with Cy from barrier reef, and try to support the LFS as much as my poor a$$ can. Its too bad that the actions of a few are punishing many more. This is especially true, when someone like myself is not wanting to sell at all, but is now restricted from a "WTB" post.

Lets put this in a simple way that you can understand as to why we're doing this. Simply, we get a large number of people that sign up for one purpose & one purpose only, to sell stuff on these forums, it is a common problem. That is all they do, never contribute to the other threads & serve no other purpose but to sell. When they have issues WE (mods) have to deal with it, we have to spend our Free time to correct their issues & they offer nothing to the Reefing part of our site & Reefing is what we do, not selling. So for these trouble makers everyone suffers, I hate to say it, especially a newbie wanting to get in on a good deal.
Good news is, if you do stay, you get to read & be a part of a great site & eventually you'll get those deals your looking for & may learn something because you had to wait a while:lol:. I think it is a fair trade off, it seems to benefit us all if you look at it like that.
How does that sound?:)

This new rule isn't stopping us new people from buying just selling. I can still send PMs if I see something I like.

I love this site...it's my new addiction and I have learned a lot from it. This particular thread has been very intertaining--I love drama.

Thanks for the awesome site.

This new rule isn't stopping us new people from buying just selling. I can still send PMs if I see something I like.

I love this site...it's my new addiction and I have learned a lot from it. This particular thread has been very intertaining--I love drama.

AMEN! That is what we need to hear!;)

Thanks, I like happy faces, these daily drama issues just brings me down!

Welcome to RF!

I'm surprised this rule wasn't implemented a long time ago! Most forums you join these days require you to do just that...Meet a certain post count first in order for you to be able to post in their for sale threads. Infact, I've seen many forums that take it even a step further where they require you to post a pre-determined amount of posts within the general area first before even being able to post any pictures of your own or start your own thread! :eek:

So, you find a loophole, and bypass the rule (thus breaking the rule), and then inform everyone of it? Good way to bring on more strict rules, such as members with under 50 posts or 30 days of membership, not even being able to access the buy/sell/trade forums.

So, you find a loophole, and bypass the rule (thus breaking the rule), and then inform everyone of it? Good way to bring on more strict rules, such as members with under 50 posts or 30 days of membership, not even being able to access the buy/sell/trade forums.

From what I understand the rule is there to keep Idiots from coming on here just to sell stuff. What's wrong with buying from people?

They could add more rules, but wouldn't it just hurt the people who have been around and want to get rid of some stuff.

If I'm wrong then please let me know.

I think it's a good rule. Except it kept me out of the cool give away contest, but since that's not the reason for this forum it's ok by me.

thats what my concern was, I'm just horrible at asking questions (when there typed out I forget words in secntances and then it changes the meaning of what I want to say...)

I wish more newbies did post their concerns or questions, especially when they are new & starting out. It can be very confusing at first, I & others here feel any question is a good question, even if it is repeated just because of what you said. How can someone know what to ask if they don't know what is going on or who to ask, for that matter.
Feel free to ask away regardless, pm me or friends etc, I see no harm in that but rather someone asking for some help & that is our main reason for being here!:cool:
If you saw how I was when starting out, It was the same way for me, I didn't have a clue myself LOL, I just have no shame & asked all of the dumb questions lol, hey I felt I don't know anyone so what the heck!

This discussion was a lot of reading. I need to go to go chill now. lol

I think it is a good rule as long as "under members" can still buy stuff and pm.

I love this site and most of my posts are in equipment just because i have so many reefs in my house. Mostly nano's.

Also i would be considered a "lurker" because all i do on here is sit and read =)

But i appreciate the opportunity to learn and like Adam said its never ending.

Well will just chime in so I can get my post count up:D I like and do not like the rule as I can not post in the for sale but have been a member for over 2 years now. Will just have to start posting I guess.

I guess i have one more concern here.... What about people posting less then quality post to make it to the 50? It's pretty easier for me to weed though the sale forum.

They still have to wait for 30 days to post in the for sale forums. That's a long time to wait if you are just trying to offload some stuff. That's probably more dedication than some people have when they can find a site just for selling stuff without the wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back