why

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

moliken

should a clam just go into a slow decline, taking a few weeks to gradually die? lg maxima. mantle slowly receding more and more. he was fine for 2 weeks. the other 12 clams in my tank are fine, is it just failure to thrive? no nipping, no flow, lighting or water quality issues. certainly no pyr bstrds either. most other clams ive lose in previous situations went overnight. this poor guy is hanging on for his life. every day i expect him dead, but not yet. no radical treatments either, no fwd, which will def'ly kill him.

Welcome to RF moliken :)

I don't know anything about your system being your new to our site. Could you please post all your water parameters?

Here is what I am looking for:

Salinity- (salt brand and tester used also please)
PH
Calcium
alkalinity
Magnesium
temperature

How long has your system been running and where is the placement of this clam? How long have you had this clam and can you provide pictures of the underside please?

Look forward to helping you figure out the problem after you provide some more information..

Frank

ok
setup for 2.75 years. 65 and 75 plumbed together40 g sump, ca reactor
ai leds since dec
clam had been on a mid level rock with most of my 14 clams some higher, some in the sand . mp40 and sm tunze
i am mixing salinity by seachem, reef crystals and tropic marin bio actif in an every day w/c system of 3.5 gals, simply b/c i bought a bucket of salinity and it is just awful to make
1.0255, float, not swing arm, backed up w/ a calibrated refracto and friend's refracto
ph 8.1
ca 420-460 api
trates, trites, amm 0 api
mag 1275 seachem
alk just under 9 drops api and seachem
phos .02-.5 .02 on a hanna checker and .5 api
temp gets up as high as 82 and as low as 76, when i use a fan on it
i am not gonna disturb the clam any for a pic. what id possible to see? it is not attached, not gaping, just severely receded. got it from dr mac, personally, not shipped. was fine for as above, 2 weeks then began not to open fully, then closed more, then began the receding. no nippers, crabs, bad stuff.

That's what I was thinking Sid and why I wanted to see some pictures of it.

If you got it personally from Dr. Mac of pacific east then I am sure it was removed from his system properly.

Acedents do happen though and the foot could be damaged

it sounds logical, but there was no attaching/removing at dr mac. i picked him out and the woman working there was able to move it very easily. it never attached in my tank-and i have quite few maxis that have not. he is still alive, but i don't think it'll be too long.

Hey Paul, I just now saw this thread. Good to see you over here!

Just out of curiosity how many of the French Poly clams have you had and how many do you still have?

I am starting to think that the French Poly Maxima's are a ticking time bomb. All I hear about them is about death with no appearant reason. I have had 3 and I only have one left now, it is the smallest of the 3 at 4".

ive probably lost 5 and have 5. but i may be losing another. dr mac says it's light starvation. but i dunno. he also said sg at 1.030, which is nuts, to me. big debate went on w/no resolution, and i'm passing on his new stock.
three of my lost 5 took at least 2 weeks of decline. just got my first hippopus, from diversden. still in qt.
glad to be on any clammie forum, btw

How much light are you pumping into this tank? That much dyeing isn't a sign of a perfect conditions so something is off, maybe before adding anything else you would want to figure this out. JMO

Back