wierdness with RODI -need help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Congrats on your successes, now your making good water:)
It isn't easy trying to figure out a guys problem without actually being there, even more so when he says it is all right:D
Lesson learned & I'm sure you'll have High Quality H2O from now on! This may be helpful to many others!

Just got done reading all the posts here - quite a story.

A few odds and ends that may not have been cleared up in the thread:

The standard configuration for placing a pressure gauge has the gauge between the last prefilter and the RO membrane "in" port. A drop in pressure over time indicates a clogged prefilter(s).

In most cases, excess flow from the permeate port indicates the membrane isn't fully seated, or if it is, another common cause is a crack or chip in the RO membrane housing.

Then again, mistaking the waste line for the permeate line will do it too!:)

Russ @ BFS

Russ - good story wasn't it. I'll tell ya what though. I learn more from my mistakes this time 'round than I have in a long time, so I guess that's one good outcome.

It's making great quality water now w/ no problems (phew:D :D )

I would like to figure out a good use for all of the "waste" water. It seems like such a waste. Right now, I just have it going onto my lawn outside, but ya know, living in seattle, with the ground already totally saturated, it's a waste.

Yes - you probably know a ton more about your RO system than you would have otherwise...

Re your waste water - try extending your waste line to your washing machine.

Russ @ BFS

Yeah, I heard about some people doing that. The only problem is that my RO is in the garage and the washer is upstairs (dohh). I may do that at the next house we move to though..

So, I don't know much about washing machine engeneering. How does that work? if you choose water level "low" for instance and the normal washing machine would pump 20 gallons of H20 into the washer, but you already have 10 gallons in there, would it really fill up to 30 gallons, or does it cut off based on a float valve or something still at 20?

I assume it must have some sort of float valve or shutoff valve to know when it reaches the predetermined max amount regardless of what's pumped in, but just wanted to be sure. do you know?

Back