Worm or Part of Coral?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TangDr

Is this a worm attacking the coral? Part of the coral?

If worm, bad or good?

Look in lower left quadrant of picture for the white thread-like item.

Sorry, old iPhone used for picture and video. First try at picture and video posting.

Picture:

11821666043_02b079ba99.jpg

Picture Link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/113742066@N06/11821666043/

Movie Link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/113742066@N06/11821866654/

Thanks, Peter

watching the video, it doesn't look at all to me like a vermited, but there could be varieties i'm unaware of. its certainly weird.

watching the video, it doesn't look at all to me like a vermited, but there could be varieties i'm unaware of. its certainly weird.

I agree, it has a pin worm type look from what I could see of it outside the coral. White, slender, with a tapered tip. It will be interesting to see if it is still there tonight.

Could not see whatever is was last night. Since I'm not sure if was a worm or something the coral put out, any tips on trapping?

not sure what the corals are there as to if it is a sweeper tenticle

I picked it up at the fire sale for the 700 gallon tank last Saturday. I need to learn to ask what it is while I had experts around. Only thing I asked was how much for that acro?

most of the older build thread links are broken from site upgrades i think. searches are really hard becuase when its in the sig line like that it posts for every post. best bet seems to be to look around in the members showcase area...

most of the older build thread links are broken from site upgrades i think. searches are really hard becuase when its in the sig line like that it posts for every post. best bet seems to be to look around in the members showcase area...

Thanks, I will search around in the members showcase area.

Does it just go with the flow and retract rather quickly when disturbed? I've see Digitate Hydroids look similar. I have one that hangs from my ato sensor that is quite long.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

Does it just go with the flow and retract rather quickly when disturbed? I've see Digitate Hydroids look similar. I have one that hangs from my ato sensor that is quite long.

Whatever is was, was just going with the flow. I do not know if would have retracted when disturbed. Probably 3/4". Only saw it the one night and I haven't seen it since.

They usually come out when they sense food in the water column, and when the lights go dim or out.
If indeed it is a Digitate Hydroid care should be taken as they pack a powerful sting. Also increase rapidly in higher nutrient waters. But decrease with cleaner water :)

Back