1000 Gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

man, that would be a great look inside your living room. still have time to cut some drywall before the waters in :)

hey bret. did the tank get there okay. im sorry i wasn't able to help. i had to work saturday.

Just called for a tracking number on the tank....... Hasn't shipped yet, will be shipping tomorrow. I guess in Canada, Palm Friday and easter Mondays are considered holidays. I went to a Canadian Heritage website to see for myself and they are official holidays up there.

This leaves me with yet another opportunity to knock the whole in the wall.....

Don, as you had stated there are very strict building and fire codes. That is certainly something I don't want to be messing with. My fears of the whole in the wall were this:

1. Taking on ANOTHER project and feeling even more overwhelmed.
2. Finding that it will require major relocating of electrical wires down and upstairs.
3. Doing a half-ass job (becuase I'm no pro) and making my house cave in after a couple years.
4. Knowing that it will be again another job to tackle when we sell the house someday. (having to fill it back in)

Don, what if I were to do windows instead? Something like this:

wall.jpg

So your total height with the tank will be 7+ feet? How tall is your garage? Just wondering because you will have quite a bit of evap. Have you thought of any type of ventilation? You don't want your garage getting all mildewed up.

Don, what if I were to do windows instead?

I assume that the wall between the house and the garage is a load-bearing wall, so the headers will need to be sized with that in mind.

I don't know what the building codes say about fire ratings for windows between a house and a garage.

Question - is there plywood sheathing on that wall as well? Or just drywall on both sides? From a structural point of view, a large wall with no windows makes an excellent place to have a shear wall. Normally plywood for sheathing (instead of OSB), and generally more frequent nailing. You do not want to cut holes in those types of walls unless absoutely necessary.

well Im not sure if there is plywood under the sheet rock or not. I guess I need to cut a small hole to find out, huh? I should add. This is also the wall that the door out to the garage is located on.

Fyi

Its 2x3" 1/4" square stock. Dual sheild welded... I think. (I have no idea what dual sheilded even means)

I think that the welders may have mis-led you...If that really was 1/4 wall you would have needed way more than 2 people to move it???
Just an FYI

well Im not sure if there is plywood under the sheet rock or not. I guess I need to cut a small hole to find out, huh? I should add. This is also the wall that the door out to the garage is located on.

No cutting needed, push a nail or icepick through. If it hits wood, you will know it.

Hey brett jsut checking up on your progress with the tank, reading some of your concernes with cutting into the wall. I think you should go with the hole in the wall... beats windows hands down... because if its a newer how its probably 2x6 construction so i mean it will be like looking out your windows in a fish tank... rather then haveing the tank right there *BAM*... just me, but you spend the money on the nice tank... very nice stand might as well do it right eh?

In any case, all you would need is to know if its jsut load or a shear wall... either way just a few pieces of a glue-lam for the top and sides... if its a shear wall probably some heavy duty metal braces and you will have a good hole in the wall. Just get a hold of some blue prints for your house, take them to a engineer and have them give you a write up on what you need to put in there. take it down to the county have them approve it, and then go to it =), when you go ot buy the glue-lam beams go to the lumbermens by your work, they do custom sizes so you can get exactly what you need they will even deliver it once you got it ( I recomend them since i used to work there, may even be able to get you a deal if ya let me know.)

Just my two cents =P i like the *BAM*! in your face look, would love to do this myself once i have a place of my own =D Keep us posted, love pics, and if you ever need help im around lol

In any case, all you would need is to know if its jsut load or a shear wall... either way just a few pieces of a glue-lam for the top and sides... if its a shear wall probably some heavy duty metal braces and you will have a good hole in the wall. Just get a hold of some blue prints for your house, take them to a engineer and have them give you a write up on what you need to put in there. take it down to the county have them approve it, and then go to it =), when you go ot buy the glue-lam beams go to the lumbermens by your work, they do custom sizes so you can get exactly what you need they will even deliver it once you got it.

Excellent advice, especially if you either plan on:

Selling the house in the future, or

Keeping the house until at least after the next major earthquake.

Yes it may cost $100 or soo dollars to have them figuer out what you need but since it a prety basic thing your doing it shouldnt be to much, and haveing something like that aproved by the county if there was to be an erathquake and your house was damaged then your homeowners would have nothing to complain about.

Brett,

Holy Cr!@#%$!p! I just finished your thread and man getting back into reefing for me seems easy after the time, effort, patience, effort, bucks, effort, and passion you have! Wow, I wish you good all the best and if you ever need help just give me a shout. You got a few of my frags a few years back. I lost a 5 gallon bucket full of SPS about a year ago and had not been to motivated but I am having a go at it again. I am down the street still.

Take care and I will tag along for the excitement.
Brian

Back