1000 Gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brett,

Don't know if this helps you, but maybe you can extrapolate from it. I have 2 x 250 watt heaters for my 375 gallon tank.

BTW, my tank and stand are in the garage and the tank is a constant 76-77 degrees.

Kirk

Hey Brett,

The rule of thumb 3-5 watts per gallon… But with larger systems you go with less because larger bodies of water are able to hold on to their heat better. I think that I read somewhere that (Delbeek and Sprung???) 2 watts a gallon is good. So if you’re talking two 1000 watt heaters, I think that would be overkill. I would run with two 500 watt heaters for your system.

By the way, you think that you’ve got issues with your Subi, try driving a 3 Series BMW drop top! It’s embarrassing to have to ask my wife to barrow her Mini-Van.

I would agree with MarineDreamer. My tank is acrylic and even in the garage (the coolest place in the house) the temperature doesn't fluctuate that much.

Hey Brett,

The rule of thumb 3-5 watts per gallon… But with larger systems you go with less because larger bodies of water are able to hold on to their heat better. I think that I read somewhere that (Delbeek and Sprung???) 2 watts a gallon is good.

Heat is only lost on the outside surface (of the tank, sump, and plumbing). Since doubling the tank volume doesn't double the surface area, it makes sense that big tanks need less watts/gal heater capacity.

I am looking at the ASM G-6 skimmer. Its rated for 1200g. Anyone have any advise or recommendations about this skimmer?

I believe the ASM skimmers are discontinued and Octopus is the replacement. Getting replacement parts might be an issue.

http://www.octopusskimmer.com/

Are you open to other models/brands or is your mind set on ASMs?
Also what price range do you want to stay within?

Well, I saw the G-6 is a good deal (under 600) including pumps and rated for 1200g system.

For a tank this size, have you considered multiple skimmers? Especially different types of skimmers? Since different skimmer types have different major parameters (bubble size, contact time, etc), you might be able to skim a wider range of materials with different skimmers.

Plus, it provides redundancy when a skimmer is down for cleaning, etc.

There are only two choices for skimmers.
1 Your going to pay now
2 Your going to pay latter.

That's a your going to pay latter skimmer.

Certainly a good idea I never thought of. Nothing wrong with two skimmers. I have a life reef right now that I could continue to use.
For a tank this size, have you considered multiple skimmers? Especially different types of skimmers? Since different skimmer types have different major parameters (bubble size, contact time, etc), you might be able to skim a wider range of materials with different skimmers.

Plus, it provides redundancy when a skimmer is down for cleaning, etc.

I try to keep things short while posting with my iPhone.
Your tank is going to be monster your going to need a good skimmer a Beckett type is going to be the least expensive up front but long term energy costs will be high. Your next choice are going to be pin/mesh wheel skimmers good ones have a higher up front cost.

With a tank that large, if it is going to be reef your costs are going to be large no matter what you try to do. Lighting, cooling, heating, circulation, humidity control, water and filters, salt, and other media.

I'm not going to recommend a skimmer there are plenty good brand out there that rate their skimmers correctly based on bio load. Low bio load for a pin/mesh wheel skimmer expect to pay around $2000 high load 3000-4000. If that's to much look at Beckett or even large air stone skimmers and DIY Stuff.

Sorry I missed the fact this is a fish only that changes a bit I'd go with a Beckett Ask Donovan (my neighbor) what he is running. your tank will be similar in volume and his is quit successful.

Last edited:
Nice tank size. Since you are doing a fowlr tank I take your selection of fish will be large waste animals. Sharks, Lions and large Tangs are big waste producers. As far as a skimmer goes almost everyone will agree you can pay me now or pay me later. Aquaticacrylics.com builds custom dart needle wheel skimmers. They are not cheap but the six ft. model holds about 80 gallons I believe. He has a 4 ft model that would probably work for you. And you will be using only 110-140 watts compared to a big beckett with a power robbing 300-350 watt pump. Are you planning on overflow feeding your skimmer??? You could skim it before you hit the sump. I know I will be stepping into a volcano skimmer and getting rid of my MRC-3.

Just my 2 cents worth.......

Mike

giant skimmer cheap

Turboflotor 5000 Protein Skimmer
Motor driven external protein skimmer for aquaria with a volume of 250 - 1250 gallons
We have this in stock from Aqua Medic, it stands over 6 feet. We need to order the collection cup , (came without it )
this could be offered at a great price! Look it up .
Let me know if this is something you might be interested in .

ROB - ARSA

Back