1000 Gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Im gonna check petco first. Sometimes they dump that stuff. Otherwise Im gonna order this up

Thanks Eric. More pics to come for sure. Your welcome to come on out when this thing rolls in. Im offering beer to every available helper.
I might be available to help with the transfer from the truck to the stand. When is your tank expected to arrive (time/date)? Approximately where are you in Puyallup?
Can a get a ticket to visit your aquarium once it is up and ready for viewing?
BTW, I prefer IPA beers, lots of them. But I will be driving home so 1-2 would probably be a good idea.
Eric in Lake Forest Park, WA.
Currently setting up a 150g. Contractors came in today to scope adding some beams under a now bouncing floor. Should be done within 2 weeks. Photos coming.

The best place I've seen locally is down in Sumner can't remember the name of the joint. But I think they're about 45-50 bucks for the 160gal mix...

I might be available to help with the transfer from the truck to the stand. When is your tank expected to arrive (time/date)? Approximately where are you in Puyallup?
Can a get a ticket to visit your aquarium once it is up and ready for viewing?
BTW, I prefer IPA beers, lots of them. But I will be driving home so 1-2 would probably be a good idea.
Eric in Lake Forest Park, WA.
Currently setting up a 150g. Contractors came in today to scope adding some beams under a now bouncing floor. Should be done within 2 weeks. Photos coming.

Expected arival date, March 21st. Nothing positive at this point but I'll keep you posted. I can have IPA on hand for sure. Thanks for offering to join in. Lets see those pic's of your 150!

Insane! :D
I can't wait for it to start coming together.
Fwiw. Your Rodi should be 4 to 1. Anything more and your just wasting water.

I'll be sure to keep bumpin and updating this post. I think my RODI's wack!

take a look at my tank! Cant wait to see yours....

I love your tank man, I sent ya a PM.

I think Im jumping on the Drfostersmith deal. 30 per bucket. Unlimited amount for $18 shipping. Cant go wrong! Your right though, the place in Sumner is a pretty nice little shop. Great deals on reef fish.

The best place I've seen locally is down in Sumner can't remember the name of the joint. But I think they're about 45-50 bucks for the 160gal mix...

1. I ordered 4 buckets of IO last month from Fosters. Great deal on salt if they are still having it.

2. So at least in seattle proper (king county) they calculate your "sewage" use by determining your water usage during the winter months (figuring you are not using extra water in the yard or on your lawn). Thus they figure that the water you use, is going down the drain = sewage usage. They average your water usage for the winter months and determine this as your baseline sewage usage and then you get charged for this all year until they reset it the next winter. That works fine for most people, but if you have a leaking toilet or decide to fill your 1000 gal fish tank with 5000 gal of water (RO) during the winter months, then the average gets charged all year round.

Brett...

maybe i missed it... but are you going to do sand? and where are u going to purchase this and what kind...

Yeah. 600lbs. Its a medium particle size white sand. I'm getting it from a supplier that supplied the rainforest cafe with their sand.

ANYONE HAVE A FORKLIFT OR blade EXTENSIONS or IDEAS?

OK..... The tank is being built on 3/4" plywood that stays with the tank FOREVER. For shipping, it will sit upon a pallet. My forklift forks are only 4ft long. I have access to 6ft'ers but we will be picking it from an 5 ft end, so I need forks at least 96" (8ft). Extensions for rent have been outlawed by OSHA. Does anyone have some lying around? Or have any ideas? I was also considering some 12ft pressure treated 4x6's wrapped around the forks with tow straps? Any chance that would work?

Brett

I have seen light-gage steel rectangular tube sections that would fit over the forklift blades.

If you use 2x6's, dont use treated. They are weaker than stud-grade 2x6's (or No. 2's)

Not sure I would trust tow straps - just because they would be hard to get tight. I would use duct tape (to keep them aligned) plus (probably) 3 c-clamps on each fork (side-by-side, as far away from the fork tip as possible).

I seen on dave chappell show. He downed some redball an picked a bus up that ran over a dime. You could get a few of us together and a six pack and we could all stare at it.
Just JK. Man thats going to be a job :shock:.

Brett,

You must get the total weight of the tank before you do anything more. It also needs to be accurate, no wag. (wild ass guess) Don't mess with a forklift and non factory forklift extensions. It's the billy bob's of the world that attach 2x6's and such that induce tip overs and injurys. If the tank is 12 feet long and that is your picking length point or load center, then you need 6'+ long forks and a forklift that has a capacity that is 20%+ more than your tank. If you call some of the forklift rental places you would be suprised how affordable a pic becomes. Be preparred with all the info. One variable is your garage door and celing height. I would think you need a propane sit down style that has a 7500lb load capacity. They may be too tall for your garage, hope not for your sake. Then your only other option is a mediun/large auto wrecker with a boom and rigging equipment. A 1000 gallon coffee table tank would be killer though! I thought that was funny, but probably not so much for you. Hope this helps, as I have a little experience with the above situations, Jason

Last edited:
It's the billy bob's of the world that attach 2x6's and such that induce tip overs and injurys.

I suggest that we all agree on who will have video rights, and that we agree that half of the proceeds (American funniest home videos, or whatever) be donated to Reef Frontiers ...

Back